Can you run a supercharger and turbo??

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
MiamiVibe

Can you run a supercharger and turbo??

Post by MiamiVibe »

I was wonder if it was possiable to run both a supercharger and turbo on a car at the same time? Would it be safe?
2003 Salsa base Vibe-Injen CAI-Borla Exhaust-Window tinting (darkest legal dont personally know the %)
d_m_kolb

Re: Can you run a supercharger and turbo?? (MiamiVibe)

Post by d_m_kolb »

Anything is possible. Not sure why you'd want to do this but yes it could be done. When I think about it you could run a small supercharger witha clutch in the pullie so when a certain rpm hit the pullie would spin but the supercharger would stop producing PSI. You can then run a HUGE turbo that didn't start to spool until 4,500 RPM and make massiv amount of boost and then the turbo would pick up where the supercharger left off. You wouldn't lose any low end torque with this set up but again why would you want to do this? I would think a system like this would probably run somewhere around the $17,000 or higher price tag to make it all work. You'd have to have a heavily modified engine to handle this kind of PSI and power the engine would make.Ok I'm done thinking about it. I have never seen a system like this. Maybe someone else has.Oh I have seen a electric turbo fan used with a actual turbo system. The fan got the turbo to spool faster producing lower RPM torque quicker. I think I saw this concept on a BMW once.
MiamiVibe

Re: Can you run a supercharger and turbo?? (Admin II)

Post by MiamiVibe »

Well just want to know whats possiable. Heck how many people are debating between a supercharger and a turbo? So I thought "would it not be great to have both? Low end power and top end power?
2003 Salsa base Vibe-Injen CAI-Borla Exhaust-Window tinting (darkest legal dont personally know the %)
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

A better set up would be to run a twin turbo setup. You have a really small turbo that spools very low in the RPMs say maybe 1,500 RPMs. Then you have a larger turbo that starts to spool at 3,000 Rpms. The smaller the turbo the faster it will begine to spool (Spin and start making presure) but it wont make lots of high end power. The larger the turbo the longer it will take it to start spooling but the more power it can make in the higher RPM band.This type set up works well and a similar set up in used on the twin turbo Toyota Supra.I have also seen systems where the vehicles owner will use a 50 to 75 shot of Nitrous to get off the line and then at a certain RPM their turbo will begin to make boost and take over.
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Or you could save a lot of time and money, sell your vibe, and just go buy a Corvette.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
d_m_kolb

Re: Can you run a supercharger and turbo?? (Stang2Vibe)

Post by d_m_kolb »

Ya then you can turbo the Vette and you wouldn't have to worry about low end torque because the LS1 has low end torque dripping from the engine. There was a turboed 96 Vette at my last duty station. That car was scary fast!
mu_ohio

Post by mu_ohio »

quote:Ya then you can turbo the Vette and you wouldn't have to worry about low end torque because the LS1 has low end torque dripping from the engine. There was a turboed 96 Vette at my last duty station. That car was scary fast!Maybe we can have a Ligenfelter twin turbo Vibe As far as combining a turbo and super charger, I think that would be very difficult. You would have to plumb the sc through the turbo and I'm not sure how that would work. I'd just go with the twin turbo setup or go with an actual sports car.
2004 Pontiac GTOPhantom Black w/black leather
MiamiVibe

Re: Can you run a supercharger and turbo?? (mu_ohio)

Post by MiamiVibe »

Guys it was just a thought doesnt mean am going to go out and spend 5,000 dollars or more on the car.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Were beating this to death but times that $5,000 by 3 or 4 and that's probably what you'd have to spend for something like that. That would be as much as the vehicle!
andrewmva

Post by andrewmva »

YES you can..... will you make better power??? -NO In my experience the best set-up for a 1.8L engine has been a single turbo set-up, twin turbo systems get too complicated and can lead to MAJOR headaches. IMO A properly sized single turbo is the way to go.
Cubanpete

Re: Can you run a supercharger and turbo?? (Stang2Vibe)

Post by Cubanpete »

well said!