Electric Supercharger

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
bjlarson

Electric Supercharger

Post by bjlarson »

Has anyone actually bought one of those electric superchargers like the ones sold on ebay? If so, what have been you results?Thanks,Brian
2005 Vibe AWDMonotone Neptune BlueMoon & TunesK&N FilterchargerDynomax ST MufflerWish List: Unichip
damronjr

Re: Electric Supercharger (silverawd26)

Post by damronjr »

Did you actually buy one or this that just speculation? Just wondering if anyone has actually BOUGHT one and actually seen if it really does anything worthwhile. I have been curious about this as well. You would assume that being as cheap as they are that they would be crap and provide no real gains, but maybe, just maybe....
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

I don't doubt that one bit, but I just wanted to know if anyone had actually gone out and spent the $$ to buy one and see what they do, if anything!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Trust me, I won't be the one to waste my hard earned dinero for something that most likely won't provide any real gains worth a damn! I was hoping someone else had!
ebslopp

Post by ebslopp »

Quote, originally posted by silverawd26 »Speculation.... Trust me, if they actually did something, I would run out and buy one... Just like those resistors....Get a real S/C or Turbo or even a Uni-Chip for anything that is real.Actually the resistor mod really does work, but it's really bad for your engine. You can but the resistor for like 10 cents at Radio Shack. I'd recommend using a 10K Pot though so it's adjustable. A while back someone posted an article on an electric supercharger that actually worked. It was more like a substitute for NOS though, because it could only be used for 15 sec bursts. I can't remember what it was called though. But the electric superchargers you see on eBay are nothing more than bilge blower motors. Any HP you gain from it, will likely be lost in running the blower motor itself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
bjlarson

Re: Electric Supercharger (ebslopp)

Post by bjlarson »

#1) What is the resistor mod?#2) e-RAM has a electric supercharger that engages under full throttle only. There is a switch that you install under the gas pedal that is activated only when you press the gas pedal to the floor and then shuts off automatically when you ease up on it.I think I might look into it a little more.
2005 Vibe AWDMonotone Neptune BlueMoon & TunesK&N FilterchargerDynomax ST MufflerWish List: Unichip
bjlarson

Re: Electric Supercharger (bjlarson)

Post by bjlarson »

Well, I did a bunch more research while watching the election coverage and while the electric superchargers do claim to produce 1 psi of boost and 2-4 hp, it doesn't seem worth $300 when you can get 6-12 HP increase with a CAI and Cat-back for a similar cost.Final Answer: No electric supercharger for me.I am going to start saving up for when there is a CAI available for the '05 Vibe and for a custom Cat-back exhaust.Later,Bri
kostby

Re: Electric Supercharger (bjlarson)

Post by kostby »

Reviving another 7-year-old THREAD back to life...(Actually, SEARCH found quite a number of oldy-moldy threads about electric superchargers, but this was the first with 'Electric Supercharger' in the title.Ostby's Believe it or Not:So this 'electric supercharger' stuff apparently is NOT EXACTLY an absolute, total hoax designed to separate the gullible from their money!BMW (yeah, THAT one, Bayrische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft) has filed a patent for an 'Electric Turbocharger'They add an electric fan to act as a 'booster' to supplement a traditional turbocharger while the regular turbo spools up, in theory, at least, eliminating turbo lag.Quote, originally posted by LeftLaneNews »BMW has officially submitted plans for an electric turbo to the the German patent office, suggesting the technology could become a reality in the not-too-distant future. In fact, the next-generation M3 could arrive with the technology sometime in 2014.Working in tandem with a larger, conventional turbo, the electric unit use a small electric motor to power its turbine during the transition from idle to load, which BMW says greatly reduces the phenomenon known as turbo lag – the period it takes a conventional turbocharger to spool up. In addition to boosting performance, the electric turbo also increase fuel efficiency as it helps keep the engine in its optimum operating zone.Link to full article at LeftLaneNews.com:http://www.leftlanenews.com/bm....html

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
KITT222

Re: Electric Supercharger (kostby)

Post by KITT222 »

I think that is a totally different idea. The electric supercharger is basically an electric fan in the intake tube.
millster

Re: Electric Supercharger (KITT222)

Post by millster »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »I think that is a totally different idea. The electric supercharger is basically an electric fan in the intake tube. Agreed. And before anyone suggests the possibility of putting one of these cheap electric fans ahead of an existing turbo, just think of all of those little plastic parts falling into the spinning compressor blades when your turbo does spool and sucks the plastic item apart. Your engine would probably not find them all too tasty.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
Serj22

Re: Electric Supercharger (millster)

Post by Serj22 »

If you want to try this "electric supercharger" get a gas powered leaf blower, hook a hose up from the end to the intake of the car, then see if you like it. If it makes the car faster, go buy an electric supercharger to make a smaller leaf blower mod. MY buddy bought one of the electric stupidchargers and it just blocked the intake up and made the car slower and less responsive, like it was always in limp mode, it also kept throwing lean codes because the car wasnt pulling fuel to mix (due to lack of air). They told him it was his car and his fault, and not their problem it didn't work on it. I told him not to buy it and told him exactly what it would do. He wanted to waste the $200, so...
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

There was a You tube video of some guys taking a car on a dyno with a gas leaf blower on the intake and adding some serious HP. They got even braver (or stupider) and ran nitrous through the leaf blower and made more. http://www.youtube.com/embed/OrDe1md6AWg
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop