Hard Wire IPOD on M&T w/o Nav - Done!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
hogdoctor

Re: Hard Wire IPOD on M&T w/o Nav - Done!

Post by hogdoctor »

Did you keep any photos of where you connected the wires to the pc board and main amp?
joatmon

Re: Hard Wire IPOD on M&T w/o Nav - Done!

Post by joatmon »

No, but today I started to get the stripped gear fresh/recirc thumping, so I'll be pulling the radio soon and can take some

edit Sep. 14, 2018, 13:24 EDT

I didn't connect wires directly to a circuit board. I cut the wires running from the CD player to the main board, and then tack soldered my wires to the cut ends. Not sure it particularly shows in this pic, the soldered wires have black heat shrink on them
auxin.jpg
auxin.jpg (45.03 KiB) Viewed 703 times
The cat5 cable had eight wires in it, I needed 4 + ground, so I used four for the ground, although one would have been adequate. I cut the two wires on the CD player side of the main board (pin 1, the black wire, and pin 3, a white wire second from the black wire on the 6 wire bundle). The hard part was stripping the cut wire end down in the box using the the tools I had. Would have been easier to strip the wires if I removed the main board from the box, but it didn't seem worth it. I ran the grounds around and under the screw in the nearby corner, shown in the inset in the pic.

Used an ohm meter to verify that the cat5 coupler preserved wire color, blue on one end was connected to blue on the other, etc. Have to wire it so that the moving parts in the jack ( the parts that contact the inserted plug) connect to the wires leading to the board, the stationary contacts that get disconnected when a plug is plugged in connect to the CD player side. I didn't try to research and preserve left/right polarity.

With my phone, I still have to turn up the volume some to match the radio or CD audio level. Without the bluetooth adapter, it would have been better for me to buy a cheap FM transmitter. One advantage to the little BT receiver is that I can also use it to do a line level boost when I play music from the phone through my home stereo, or through a guitar amp for a kick (removed) bluetooth speaker. One disadvantage to the one I bought is that its small and easy to misplace.

It would be nice to have a car radio that had aux in and bluetooth already part of it, but since my car was made 16 years ago by a company that no longer exists, I'll wait for that kind of modern feature until this one dies and I buy something newer

as for my thumping, I can't remember if I've ever switched to recirc on purpose, so I set it to fresh/thump, and then unplugged the connector from the thumping damper motor.