ddx7015 install?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
flyby

ddx7015 install?

Post by flyby »

I bought the kenwood ddx7015 dvd player for the vibe. I also bought the malta wiring adapter. Everything is pretty easy to do but why don't I have dvd picture or sound??? The title of the dvd comes up but no picture, and when I stick a cd in it plays but there's no sound. I didn't hook up the GREEN PARK wire from the deck since I can't find the actuall e brake wire and I only have one wire left on the malta adapter, the dash light/ illumination. HELP
flyby

Re: ddx7015 install? (flyby)

Post by flyby »

I almost forgot, I have four wire from the deck not being used, MUTE, P CONT/power control wire, EXT CONT/external amp control wire, and last ANT CONT/ antenna control.
DavidPIL

Post by DavidPIL »

Heya flyby,Can't help you with the install but that's the exact deck I want! The audio shop was trying to talk me into one of the Eclipse models because they have a 3 year warranty but I want that kenwood bad! Post pics of the install . I'm guessing the silver/black face matches the interior pretty closely.BTW, I'm no audio wiring genius but I'd guess that since you didn't hook-up that wire that the absence of a signal would be preventing the unit from working. Just a thought. Though I'm sure you're figuring that too.Dave
pissedoffgokart

Post by pissedoffgokart »

Did you have the moons and tunes prior to the switch? If so you need to connect the ACC wire (blue w/ white stripe) to the remote turn on lead on the amp!
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Yes, if you had M&T, you need to make the connection suggested by pissedoffgokart.You need to flip through that installation manual one more time... In-dash DVD players will NOT play video without the Parking brake connection connected. It's a safety function. There is a workaround that may work, but i'm not going to post it on a public forum. (As video visible to the driver while driving is illeagle in most states.) You can PM me if you want to know the "bypass".. Otherwise you need to get your E-brake wire, which you can tag at the eBrake, but you'll only be able to view DVDs while parked.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
flyby

Re: ddx7015 install? (DavidPIL)

Post by flyby »

Hey davidlpil, yeah it looks pretty good in there but I am going to have to make different brackets for the sides to make it fit right and there is some space around the trim that will look quite crappy. As my automotive imagination develops I will have to make something for that also. I am in belgium so it's not like I can go down the road to the local car stereo shop. Bummer Questions for Jahntassa and pissdoffgokart, I am an ameture at this and I do have the M&T package. How do I know what is the right wire at the ebrake and where is the easiest place to splice into it and remote turn on lead amp, same question? I appreciate it guy's, like I told davidpil, not the easiest place to learn things and ask questions. I miss the convenience of the states. till next post
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

If you pull up the center console (with the armrest), there are four 10mm bolts holding it down, two in the little "pocket" in front of the cup holders, two in the larger armrest pocket. The whole thing then lifts up, but be careful to unplug the wiring from underneath it when you lift. You'll see a single wire coming from the side of the e-brake. That's where you should tap the e-brake wire.As for the M&T, If I remember correctly, you need to attatch the blue wire from the DVD unit to the blue wire in the Metra harness, and the Blue/white wire from the DVD unit to the single wire coming from the second wiring harness you unplugged from the back of the factory radio. Hopefully someone can verify this, I can never remember.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
flyby

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by flyby »

Okay, I got the ebrake part---thanks, NOW the metra harness didn't come with a blu wire. I am guessing though that it attaches to the B3 slot, that would be the black wire form the original head unit. To clarify one thing, the Blue/white wire from DVD into the C unit(only wire being used) If so, I am going to go for it. I will post pics when I get it all done.
ebslopp

Re: (flyby)

Post by ebslopp »

Does this headunit require an external amp? Sometimes they don't have an amp inside the headunit because they take up a lot of space for other goodies. If you still can't figure it out, check and see if that is the case.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
HamiltonAudio

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by HamiltonAudio »

Quote, originally posted by Jahntassa »Yes, if you had M&T, you need to make the connection suggested by pissedoffgokart.You need to flip through that installation manual one more time... In-dash DVD players will NOT play video without the Parking brake connection connected. It's a safety function. There is a workaround that may work, but i'm not going to post it on a public forum. (As video visible to the driver while driving is illeagle in most states.) You can PM me if you want to know the "bypass".. Otherwise you need to get your E-brake wire, which you can tag at the eBrake, but you'll only be able to view DVDs while parked.there are dozens of workarounds to this feature, depending on what kind of input the head unit is looking for. all I'm going to say is determine the kind of pbrake signal your car provides (sometimes ground, sometimes 12V)....then replicate that /another/ way.... :-0bmoney
Hamilton AudioCar Audio, Security & Performancemembers.shaw.ca/hamiltonaudio
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

For the M&T amp, if you look at the harness within the dash, there is one pin, I believe B3, that has TWO thin black wires coming out from it.If your metra harness did not have a blue/white wire on it (as many don't), then you need to splice directly into either one of these wires. Connect them to the blue/white lead from the radio harness.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
flyby

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by flyby »

booya!! (does snyone still say that) I now have sound, I tried that once but didn't see the other black wire. Now for picture?? I have tried one thing to avoid the parking brake now to try something else.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Why not just hook it up to the parking brake wire? You could then drive around with it engaged only 1 click. Many people do that to trick the DRL system...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
flyby

Post by flyby »

I now have a fully functional DVD player in my vibe!! this site is awesome, but if it wasn't for you fantastic people(sarcasm) i would still be scratching my head and pumeling the bag. I need to make some brackets that will fit better--tomorrow-- and make something to blend the headunit and dash together but all in all I am done. I will post pics when all is complete. thanks guys
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

How'd you get the DVD to work?

2009 PONTIAC G8
flyby

Post by flyby »

look at hamilton audio's message. I was doing everything right, just not all at the right time.