2010 Vibe Base Fuse Polarity

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Elhuevon

2010 Vibe Base Fuse Polarity

Post by Elhuevon »

What is the fuse polarity for the under the dash fuses? I'm wiring a stereo that needs to grab 12v switched power. It was suggested to use a low profile add a circuit to plug into the fuses. Which ones are switched and what is the proper polarity to plug it in?
Bookworm

Re: 2010 Vibe Base Fuse Polarity

Post by Bookworm »

I'm not understanding what you're asking.

Fuses, by definition, are not polarized. When the current passing through them - either way - exceeds their value, they vaporize. (blow)

Diodes are polarized, but they're only used for power flow to provide one way current, such as in a full bridge rectifier, used to make crappy DC out of AC. (Thus the reason that LED's with cheap power supplies flicker)

If you're asking which circuits are 'always on', then check the car's user manual. it should list some of the always energized fuse blocks.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I think in this case polarity is a matter of which side gets power from the source and which side supplies power to the load.

I don't know, I'd use a meter to check for 12v to a known chassis ground. If not a meter, then use some wire and a spare 12v light bulb, one side to ground, the other to a side of the fuse socket.

If you are replacing the factory stereo,then use the wires that go to it. They make pigtail adapters to connect to the car wiring harness, so no wire cutting needed, and easily reversible if for some reason you want to put the factory radio back in.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I'm not sure why you'd need to use an add-a-circuit installing a radio.

As Joatmon noted, buy the correct wiring adapter kit to connect the radio to your stock wiring harness, and all should be good.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Elhuevon

Post by Elhuevon »

zbyers wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:54 am I'm not sure why you'd need to use an add-a-circuit installing a radio.

As Joatmon noted, buy the correct wiring adapter kit to connect the radio to your stock wiring harness, and all should be good.
The correct metra kit for the 09-10 vibe has a loose red wire to apply to 12v switched power because the power wire is different. This is the first time I've run into this. I'm wondering now if the matrix harness has the same issue or would work better.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Elhuevon wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:18 pm
The correct metra kit for the 09-10 vibe has a loose red wire to apply to 12v switched power because the power wire is different. This is the first time I've run into this. I'm wondering now if the matrix harness has the same issue or would work better.
That is weird, I would not have expected that.

I looked at Metra's website, it says to use a metra part number 70-2105 and the instructions there do say to run a separate wire to a fuse tap to get switched power for the radio
Metra wrote:Wire run for part:
70-2003, 70-2103,
70-2104, 70-2105,
70-6522, 70-9003
Note: The harnesses listed above are basic
and do not provide accessory power.
The included Red wire will need to be run
to the fuse box to supply accessory power
to the aftermarket radio. A brass fuse tap
is provided to assist you in tapping into the
fuse box. If you prefer a wiring harness that
will provide this function for you please visit
metraonline.com for a harness that has
accessory power support.

For a 2010 Matrix, it says to use their part number 70-1761 The picture shows different connectors than the 70-125

Looking at the 2010 owners manual, page 9-42 says under dash fuse #8 is for the audio system.

To some extent, the fuse polarity functionally doesn't matter. If you put it in where the tap hits the source side of the socket, then it will get power directly from the source, and provide source power to the piggy backed fuse. If you put it in so that the tap gets power from the load side ofhte socket, then it will still get power when you put the piggy backed fuse into the tap. Might be safer to put it in the second way, that way the original fuse still protects the radio.

so put in the tap without the original fuse installed, and if the radio still turns on when you turn the key, then reverse the tap, verify the radio doesn't come on when you turn the key, then install the original fuse into the tap and verify the radio works again.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The matrix radio I believe is different. I know on the first gen vibes/matrices, 03-04 used same radio. and 05-08 Matrix used a Toyota radio (because the GM one sucks). The Vibe continued with the GM radio.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Elhuevon

Post by Elhuevon »

zbyers wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:03 am The matrix radio I believe is different. I know on the first gen vibes/matrices, 03-04 used same radio. and 05-08 Matrix used a Toyota radio (because the GM one sucks). The Vibe continued with the GM radio.
The radio in the 2010 at least has a Toyota label on it. I'm working with Critchfield for this install. They also say the Matrix harness isn't compatible and offer suggestions like tap the loose red wire to the grey wire on the factory side or move the pin on the metra harness. I keep asking if the pin is that easy to move why don't they do it. I don't see an easy way to move the pin.

The little brass fuse tap they provide is for the full size fuse and is to big for the low profile fuses in the vibe which is something else Metra should have accounted for.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Sometimes the catch on a wire in a connector is a little metal flap that needs to be pushed in sideways while gently pulling the wire, but not having the particular connector handy, its hard to say from here.

the thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44944 looks pretty relevant.

Perhaps send a private message to onesidedown, who was able to move the pins in the metra connector, and while most of the people in that thread haven't been online here for a couple of years, onesidedown logged in here last week.