automagic headlamps

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ZZvroom

automagic headlamps

Post by ZZvroom »

I've just bought a 2003 GT.

One of several things I'm confused about are ALC & DOL. On page 2-42 the Fine Manual talks about Off, Parking & Headlights.

But on 2-43, ALC & DRL enter the discussion. So does each come into play when the headlight switch is Off?
joatmon

Re: automagic headlamps

Post by joatmon »

If the switch is off, then the car will have DRL and ALC.

DRL means the front headlights will be on at about half brightness whenever the car is running, but no tail lights. Interior lights will be a full bright, not affected by the dimmer switch.
ALC combined with DRL means that when the sensor in the front left of dash top thinks its dark enough, then it will automatically go into full mode, which means that the headlights will come on at full brightness, and the tail lights, side marker and license plate lights will also light up. Interior lights will be affected by the dimmer switch setting.

If the switch is in Parking mode, then the tail, side marker and license plates lights are lit up. I don't remember if that also gives you DLC/ALC

If the switch is in Headlight mode, then it is the same as in DLC/ALC when the sensor thinks its dark, headlights on full, tail/side marker/license lights on, interior controlled by dimmer. These will all be on even if the dash sensor thinks its very bright outside.

DRL/ALC is usually fine, except for times when its bright enough to keep the car in DRL mode but weather or other conditions warrant going full, such as a bright day with rain or fog. Important to light up those tail lights in order to be seen. I usualy let DRL/AALC take care of it, but sometimes i put something dark/opaque over the sensor, to trick the car into thinking its always night, give me automatic full headlights

The important thing to remember is that there is a green headlight indicator in the instrument cluster. If it lights up, then your tail lights are on. If its not lit up, then your tail lights are off. Something to watch if you want to be seen
ZZvroom

Re: automagic headlamps

Post by ZZvroom »

Thanks, guess I've not driven it at night without turning the headlights on manually.
Mnay things to explore still.

I do wish the handbrake handle was 2" longer to clear the console.