Tach wire for alarm

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Edgecrusher

Tach wire for alarm

Post by Edgecrusher »

2006 base Vibe Compustar 900-as install. Ive tried using the pin27 black wire off the pcm but im not getting the signal that I expect from that wire. It doesn’t go low. It changes very little with rpm and is around 8-10volts. I’ve tested all the wires in the right plug on the pcm and also the wires at the cluster and none run 0 volts at idle and increase with rpm.

Any suggestions? I’m using tachless mode but it’s spinning the starter way to long.
SlammedNiss

Re: Tach wire for alarm

Post by SlammedNiss »

black wire, ECM, far right plug, pin 5

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/fo ... ?tid=46272
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Just to expand further...if you're too lazy to click the link Slammed provided :lol:

*Notes: The ECM (Engine Control Module) is behind the glove box. On the XRS models, the tach wire is in the second plug from the right, pin 3.*
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

Yeah unfortunately that info doesn’t jive with what im seeing like i said. If im reading the plug/connector correctly, when it’s plugged into the computer the first pin is on the bottom left of the connector. Reading to the right five spaces gives me a brown wire.
If i look at the plug all the way to the LEFT I have a black in pin 5, but that gives me 6.6volts at about 800 rpm and maxes out at 7.3volts when rpms are increased. This is the only wire I can actually get some sort of change off from, however which makes me wonder if the “plug all the way to the right” doesn’t mean how it sits under the dash but rather with the label on the ECM facing up??
There’s another plug with a black pin 5 but that gives no signal I’m looking for.
I attached a pic to show what i have here.
Am I confused here or something?
D909CD8E-41E0-4D65-B82E-6A2C440F7F0A.jpeg
D909CD8E-41E0-4D65-B82E-6A2C440F7F0A.jpeg (428.32 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Since only one black wire is in pin 5 on either direction, I would think that would be the one to use.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
meie1kyl

Post by meie1kyl »

Did you get it figured out? I tapped into a black wire on the instrument cluster. The (incorrect) instructions I followed stated to connect to the leftmost black wire on the instrument cluster plug. That one didn't work but there was another black wire that did. forgive me for forgetting the position, and I didn't take pictures of the install.