Vibe door replaced - windows & locks not working

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Squrl888

Vibe door replaced - windows & locks not working

Post by Squrl888 »

Hello all, my Vibe unfortunately got in an accident and damaged the front driver's side door.

My Vibe is a 2005 with a moon & tunes package
Today I went to a junkyard and pulled a front door from another Vibe.
That Vibe is a 2004 standard option.

Anyway, I put the door on today. I plugged it's own wiring into my harness underneath the dash. The donor door did not come with a window & lock control switch so I plugged my old one in.

The windows don't roll down anymore and that door doesn't lock with the key fob.

I'm wondering if the difference between my 2005 moon & tunes and the 2004 donor means its wiring is not compatible with my Vibe?

Is there something I'm missing to make this work?

Thanks
SlammedNiss

Re: Vibe door replaced - windows & locks not working

Post by SlammedNiss »

Wiring should be the same. Does the door lock switch work on the other door? Trying to eliminate whether or not you had a direct short and popped a fuse.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I don't think the wiring for the door locks/window switches changed between the 03-04 and 05-08. I'd double check that the plugs are snapped all the way in. As Slammed also mentioned, do the other doors lock? do the windows roll down if you use the window switches on those doors? If the other windows/doors work using those switches, the problem probably lays in the master switch on the drivers door.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I too expect the door wiring to be the same between an 04 and an 05

The power windows get power from a 30A cube shaped Power fuse in the under dash fuse block. Then goes through the P/W relay, which is on the top side of the under dash fuse block. This fuse and relay also provide power to the moon roof. If your moon roof still works, then the fuse and relay are ok. If it doesn't, then the fuse and/or relay are suspect. Wouldn't explain the driver door lock switch not working

On my 03 with M&T, none of the power window switches work if the driver door window/lock switch is disconnected Interior front passenger Power lock switch and key fob still work ok with the driver window/lock switch disconnected. With the driver switch panel disconnected, the driver exterior door lock still works with a key to electrically lock/unlock all the doors

Hopefully its just the window switch isn't fully plugged in
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hope the original Poster here got his/her problem solved. Looking over several old threads related to power locks/windows not working, I discovered a new "somewhat" problem with my 2004 Vibe GT, 127k miles daily driver. This is more of an FYI but want to share it with others if it ends up becoming a problem down the road.

Now that summer finally arrived up here in the mid-west, I' find myself driving around constantly with the windows down all the way. Blowing my hair around (the 50% that I still have :lol: ) doesn't bother me a bit and feels good while driving. So just yesterday after I parked the Vibe and walked into the house for a minute, I needed to come back out and get something out of the vehicle. All the doors were locked! No big deal as the FOB was in my possession and the windows were still down so I could get in the car no matter what. I didn't recall "locking the car" upon exiting it, so that had me baffled. Here's the real mystery though ....... with the windows down I simply reached into the car and "manually" pressed the power lock switch on both drivers doors to unlock the entire car. NOTHING happened ! Toggling it the other way and you can hear the lock solenoids work, BUT switching to the unlocked position nothing happens. I repeated this several times and was unsuccessful at unlocking the car. Then I tried a different approach. I manually flipped the lever (not the electrical switch) on the passenger side door to mechanically unlock the door, which worked. Then when I operated the electrical switch to unlock the rest of the car ... it worked !!!

So somehow, the switch was deactivated momentarily and by me mechanically unlocking the passenger door "reactivated" it and it started working normally again. FYI .... the factory FOB works and has always worked. The unlock switches (both) were somehow temporarily disabled. Thought I'd just share this mystery and I'm sure there have been others with similar phantom issues.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf, i believe when the doors are locked with the FOB, you cannot reach through the window and use the interior switches to unlock it. i have this habit of leaving my keys in the ignition at home on the weekend and the wife and i have the fobs programmed to lock/unlock both cars. so sometimes she locks my keys in it. i have tried to reach through the window to unlock to no avail. there has been a few times that when i manually toggled the lock inside, it triggered the alarm. :lol:

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Correct. When you reach into an open window and unlock a door that has been locked with the key FOB, the alarm goes off until the user corrects the situation by using the correct FOB to relock and unlock the doors.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Caretaker wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:07 am the alarm goes off
Alarm ????? My remote has "lock - unlock - hatch" buttons. No panic button. Didn't know all Vibes came with alarms. I'll have to read up on this in the owners manual and do some experimentation.

It's possible that I "locked" the car with the FOB mistakenly which led to my scenario that I previously posted. Your comments then make all the sense in the world. Thanks! ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Yes, they have an alarm of sorts, but the FOB doesn't have the button. If you pick up a matrix FOB, it has a panic button on the panic. You can even open up the vibe FOB and see the circuit for the alarm and can jump it with a screwdriver. :o Linky below for a matrix version. I think i swapped out the button of the trunk to the one that says hatch that the vibe came with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyless-Entry- ... SwolpcFG74

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I have one fob with the panic button, and two without. I also have an aftermarket alarm that I had to figure out how to use, because the used car dealer hadn't a clue. He also had disconnected the horn (probably because showing the car tended to kick off the alarm), and _still passed the inspection_. When it starts flashing active, you have to lean over and trigger a button manually under the dash, while starting the car.