Air conditioner switch

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
VivianVibe

Air conditioner switch

Post by VivianVibe »

Hello again, The switch on the air conditioner wasn't working. Bought a new/used panel off ebay. On the unit there is a white part that a cable plugs into, on this there are 2 white spikes on each side and they are broken. Had to tape the cable to keep it to stay in place.
We managed to get the intact white part off of the old one (rather difficult). I noticed a small spring on it and there's another one on the inside. We're thinking it is a part not meant to come off and rather leary of of trying to pry the other one out of the panel. Just don't like leaving it taped but maybe we shouldn't mess with it again. Are we right? Also, what is that cable? Many thanks
joatmon

Re: Air conditioner switch

Post by joatmon »

That is a mechanical (not electrical) cable. It's purpose is to disengage recirculate mode when ever the air flow direction is set to either full or half defrost/windshield.

If you need to defog the inside of the windshield, fresh air works better than recirculated air. This linkage is there in case you don't know or don't care about that.

I leave mine disconnected. About the only time I ever use recirculate is that first warm day of spring when the fields get manured.

So bottom line, no biggie, don't worry about it.

Does the AC work after the new switch?