Reverse Circuit - backup camera

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
blankmonkey

Reverse Circuit - backup camera

Post by blankmonkey »

I am trying to install a new blue tooth/gps/radio on my 06 Vibe. I found this link
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=43639&p=499239&hil ... se#p498943
and it was very helpful.
But I can't find where to plug into the reverse circuit??
and take a tap from the backup light lead (between the light and the fuse block)

I THINK I have found the wire, a red with blue strip, but when I test it, the radio still does not come on to camera when sifting into reverse (works otherwise).
I called Bose, and they said I was right about what to plug in, but they said it should be a red cable with a black strip. I have double checked, and it is NOT faded, definitely blue strip. Could I have the wrong cable, even though I am looking at the right one coming right out of the reverse light?

Long story short, I just need to plug into the reverse circuit, preferably under the dash, but I would accept anywhere.
I love pictures if you have some.

P.S. I am using a 14 gauge cable as my testing cable, is the fact it is large causing problems?? I would not think so, and i would rather not go out and buy more cable I don't need it i don't have to.
zbyers

Re: Reverse Circuit - backup camera

Post by zbyers »

Looks like this is the wire on the vibe you would use.
Volume 2 book page 11-144 fuse block I/P X1 (bottom left of page) Pin #30. "backup lamp control"

then look at the fuse block front view on page 11-141 you will see X1 wire connection plug. the red wire is at the bottom on the plug.

The fuse block is located behind the small left storage tray next to the steering wheel. You have to pull off the panel with tray, and disconnect two wire plugs to the switch thats on the panel . This will give you easy access to the Fuse Block.

Tap into that red wire at pin #30 with the camera red wire and with the radio's reverse wire lead.
I used a snap-on wire splice connector on to the red wire. The pin # 30 red wire goes directly to the rear backup lights.
When the backup light has voltage, that same voltage will power the camera and turn on the video display to show the image from the camera.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

This is also a good thread with some pictures.. TBH, since you have to run the wiring from the radio to the back for the camera, it might be easier to just tap into the reverse lights at the rear tail light, and then ground them there too.

blankmonkey

Post by blankmonkey »

Looks like I have some reading to do :)

You posted something that references a document or picture, but I do not see the doc or any attachments, am I missing something?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

it's hyperlinked...click on the text and it will take you to another thread on the forum. or click here. viewtopic.php?t=43614