Would like a bluetooth + better stereo installed

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
RubyVibes

Would like a bluetooth + better stereo installed

Post by RubyVibes »

Hello all!

I recently purchased my first Vibe (06) and couldn't be happier! I am in Reno, NV. There are a few little things wrong with it that I will fix over time, but getting the stereo updated is one of the first. This forum has been sooo helpful; I chose the car I did out of 6 potential ones with the information supplied by enthusiasts. Thanks to everyone for being so generous with your time and knowledge.

Here is my situation. I have a stock stereo and speaker set-up. I'm no sound buff, so it sounds ok to me. I would like to have bluetooth set up though, so I can listen to podcasts and whatnot from my phone on my long commute. I have combed through the threads in this category and am bowled over by all the awesome stereo and speaker set ups, often DIY. I was getting some replacement parts at an auto store the other day, and the cashier said he bought a system at Best Buy and they installed it for him and it's a whole lot better. I have never done electrical work, so this sounds like a more attractive route to me.

I am looking to spend no more than 400 total for a stereo/speaker upgrade. I'm sure I could figure out some basics of installation, but simply don't have the time for another project, and don't mind paying to have one less thing on my plate. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions of a good system for this budget? Of course, sounding better and being reliable would be great :)

Thank you in advance!

Ruby
Mark

Re: Would like a bluetooth + better stereo installed

Post by Mark »

I was going to do the same thing, but then I went a different route and bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JV ... UTF8&psc=1 instead. I use the iHeartRadio app to stream my favorite station (KBCO), saved me a ton of $$$.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Installing just a new head unit is a pretty simple task. I would highly consider looking at www.crutchfield.com as they will include all dash kits and harnesses to install your new radio. All wires are color coded so getting it wrong would be difficult. All you would need is some crimpers and connectors which if you dont already have, can be purchased for cheap at any hardware store.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

SlammedNiss wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:49 pm Installing just a new head unit is a pretty simple task. I would highly consider looking at www.crutchfield.com as they will include all dash kits and harnesses to install your new radio. All wires are color coded so getting it wrong would be difficult. All you would need is some crimpers and connectors which if you dont already have, can be purchased for cheap at any hardware store.
I agree with SlammedNiss. Crutchfield is a go-to if you are replacing the headunit.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Another vote for Crutchfield. The kit worked fine. Spend as much as you can on a decent unit--I bought a bottom-line model and got exactly what I paid for. I don't spend much time in the car, so it's okay.
RubyVibes

Post by RubyVibes »

Thank you all so much.

Crutchfield looks awesome, what a neat resource. I believe that I can figure out how to get the head unit in. I would also like to get speakers in as well if I'm going to upgrade it. Is that something that needs to be done at the same time? Would you recommend getting someone to do that? I don't have any electrical skill and don't mind paying to have a good job done with no hassles.

Thanks again.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

If you can take apart the door panel, then changing out the speakers is a pretty painless job as well. The hardest part is getting the old speakers out. They are held in with rivets that will have to be drilled out. After that, it's just a matter of attaching the new wires and screwing the new speakers into the door.

With that said, I'd replace the head unit first. You might be pleasantly surprised how much better it sounds with just a new head unit still using the OEM speakers.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

SlammedNiss wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 pm
With that said, I'd replace the head unit first. You might be pleasantly surprised how much better it sounds with just a new head unit still using the OEM speakers.
Couldn't agree more! If the speakers haven't rotted out and still work fine, it's definitely worth a try.

We'd still have the OEM speakers in if they wouldn't have been damaged by water.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
RubyVibes

Post by RubyVibes »

Thank you very much!

I'll let you guys know how it goes!
RubyVibes

Post by RubyVibes »

Hey guys!

Did it! Thanks for all the recommendations. Went the Crutchfield route, and it's been a pleasure. Will try to upload a photo.

Thanks again!
Vibe stereo.jpg
Vibe stereo.jpg (101.86 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Ruby
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Good job on the install, it looks great!

That's quite the stealth mounting location for the bluetooth mic. How's the sound on the other end when running the fan?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image