Ignition wiring help

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Riley93

Ignition wiring help

Post by Riley93 »

My 03 Pontiac vibe was recently stolen. Got it back but, I need help figuring out which wires go where. There's 6 wires that go to the ignition switch. I bought 2 toggles and a spring loaded switch for the starter, just need help with a wiring diagram or explanation on how to do it in general
hogdoctor

Re: Ignition wiring help

Post by hogdoctor »

ignsw.jpg
ignsw.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
I believe this will get you there.

White wire on pin 1 switched to L/Red wire at pin 3 - this is your accessory power (uncertain what color "L" is)

White wire on pin 1 switched to black/yellow on pin 2 - this is the first ignition switch

Black wire on pin 5 switched to black/white wire on pin 6 - this is the second ignition switch

Black wire on pin 5 switched momentary to red wire on pin 4 - this is the starter signal wire
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

L-R is a blue wire with a red stripe.

The switch has four positions (or "throws"), and there are two arms (or "poles") that move, the poles are mechanically linked, and both are fat, in that each can connect one input to two outputs at the same time.

When off, everything is disconnected.

In ACC, only white wire is connected to blue-red

In IG, or Run, white to blue-red and white to black-yellow and black to black-white.

In Start, white to black-yellow and black to black-white and black to red.

Not sure why they disconnect the ACC when starting, probably to cut power drain so there's more juice for the starter, although it could be some other reason, like maybe the starter causes unpleasant interference with the radio.
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

Joatmon - your suspicion is correct, the accessory is turned off while cranking to protect the radio, etc. from the voltage dip and current spike.