Intermittent power door locks (2005 Base Vibe)

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Matrix

Intermittent power door locks (2005 Base Vibe)

Post by Matrix »

Base model 2005 Vibe has power door locks, but no FOB. All door locks and hatch lock open by using key in the driver's door lock or the door lock toggle switch on the driver's door. The locks normally operate fine, but, on several occasions in the car's history, years apart, the locks have stopped working. When this happens, it's all or nothing, as in all door locks and hatch are affected, and they can't be tripped with the key or toggle. Then they will all resume working properly again when I least expect it! They weren't working for over three months most recently, resumed working for a couple of days last week, then back to nothing again. I'm wondering if it's temperature or humidity related? I can't find any information about a power door lock relay, which I thought would be the fix perhaps? I can hear a buzz sound under the steering wheel (near fuse panel) when I toggle the master driver's door lock switch (when the locks aren't working).
Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!
joatmon

Re: Intermittent power door locks (2005 Base Vibe)

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe

A lot of the relays in these cars are interchangeable, which can be a useful diagnostic, swap relays and see if the problem moves or stays, but unfortunately, the relays associated with the power door locks are not that type. They use something toyota calls an "integration relay", GM calls a m"multifunction module". Its a plastic box snapped into the bottom of the under dash fuse block. On mine, it's white, and is a toyota part, says relay integration on the box. I've never taken it out or apart, don't know if there's any easily replaceable parts inside.

Here's a pic I stole from an ebay listing for a pontiac vibe fuse box and integration relay. Mine's white, the one in this pic is a light blue color.
integraqtionrelay.jpg
integraqtionrelay.jpg (58.55 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
with a name of relay integration, or integration relay, I assume it has relays in it, and maybe one of those is causing the buzzing sound you're hearing. It could be a relay in that module, or it could be some signal from outside the box that is borderline or intermittent, causing the relay to cycle rapidly.

A replacement integration relay is more expensive than most of the other relays int he car, it would be nice to be able to positively troubleshoot it as the culprit before spending the money, but I'm not sure what to offer on how to test things and make sure

Do you hear the buzzing sound when using the master switch only when unlocking, only when locking, or both locking and unlocking?
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! We pulled the relay integration module you described and discovered a short in the circuit board. Soldered the break, then popped the module back in place and it was fixed! Hopefully this will be a permanent repair now. Now if I could figure out a way to add a FOB to activate the power door locks! I don't think the base model ever came equipped with a FOB in that early generation (at least my car didn't)....but maybe that's asking too much and I should be content with the locks working again, albeit via the "manual" way I've always had to rely on... Ideas?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

pretty awesome that you were able to find and fix the problem

You can buy a fob off ebay and program the car to respond to it, which is what I did. The important thing to be sure of when buying a fob is to get one that's FCC ID GQ43VT141 The FCC ID varies for different makes and models of cars, GQ43VT141 is the one used on (at least 03-08) VIbes and Matrixes, and corollas. If its not that ID, then it won't work with your car. I also have an 03 Toyota Tacoma, its fob is a different FCC ID, tried programming, but the truck one doesn't work with the VIbe and the vibe one doesn't work with the truck

One such fob is https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2003-2004- ... =654425219 (which I not specifically recommending, but is an example) and you can see the FCC ID on the back in one of the pictures for that ebay item.

Fobs that came with a Matrix have an extra red panic button on the back, the ones that came with the VIbe do not. The one I got off ebay had the panic button which I can testify does work on a Vibe to set the lights flashing and horn honking, but the half dozen times I had that happen I did not intend to do it, so I took the red button out to keep me from accidentally setting the thing off. https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-06-Po ... 2067160322 is another ebay listing (which I am not specifically recommending) that shows one with the panic button, can tell its from a corolla because the third button on the front shows an open trunk, where on the Vibe and Matrix fobs, the third button is labelled HATCH. Still should work. For the hatch (or trunk button) you have to hold the button down for a bit to pop the glass on the hatch, does the same thing as hitting the hatch button in the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

One you have a fob with FCC ID GQ43VT141, you have to program the car to respond to the fob. Keeps anyone with a fob from unlocking your car. The procedure seems like one of those practical jokes where you get people to do a long set of odd steps just to see how long they'll play along, but it works. The procedure is in file http://forums.genvibe.com/files/importe ... remote.jpg, which is:

Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Thanks very much for these instructions. I'm not sure my 2005 base model vehicle (power door locks but roll-down windows, 5 speed) ever came with keyless entry, and I see in the owner's manual in the locking section it says "keyless entry, IF EQUIPPED". Is it possible that a keyless entry FOB receiver isn't installed on my vehicle, such that buying and programming a FOB wouldn't work? Or were the base model vehicles with power door locks only not supplied with the FOB, but have everything else in place to enable keyless entry if I purchase an aftermarket FOB, as you suggest? Is your Vibe also a base model that was delivered new without FOB key but you were able to still get keyless entry to work?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

From the factory, power door locks and power windows only ever came together, as part of the "power package" that also included keyless entry and cruise control.. I (wrongly) assumed that if you had power locks, then you had power windows and keyless entry. If you have manual windows, then what I said about which fob you need and how to program it may or may not apply.

The receiver for the keyless entry is supposed to be on the passenger side, inside the plastic cargo area wall around the rear wheel well, but when I checked mine, which I know has one, I cant feel it or see it in there, so I don't know what to offer on how to check to see if yours has one.

Maybe try the procedure on programming all the way through to the end of step 2 and see if the lights flash like they are supposed to, but even then I'm not sure if that is a test for the existence of the keyless remote receiver or for the integration relay.

If you car does support keyless entry, its hard to know at this point if it would be the same as that which came from the factory, so the FCC ID I mentioned may or may not work. I'm not sure, kinda depends on how your car ended up with power locks but not power windows.

The first Vibe I had came with power nothing. I thought about adding power locks, but it was more involved than it was worth to me. The 03 I currently have I bought used had the power package, locks, windows, cruise, keyless, but I didn't get any fobs when I bought it, got one later off ebay Did you buy your 05 used?
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Thanks for the additional details. I did buy the 2005 Vibe used, but from a Pontiac dealer while it was still under the 3 year full factory warranty. Two keys, but no FOBs when it was delivered. I wonder if the base model Vibe in Canada (mine) didn't come with the "power package" you describe. I have the power locks and hatch, but no power windows, and no cruise control. I'm pretty sure the car wasn't modified post-factory for power locks, because, if it was, I'm sure the keyless entry would have been added? Pontiac brand is extinct from the dealership side now, so I don't have anyone to ask from the manufacturer. It sure would be great to have the FOB, but I kind of think the FOB would have been included if the car had a keyless entry FOB receiver?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I don't know. I always thought factory power locks only came with power windows, cruise, and keyless entry. If it were me, I'd risk $10, buy a fob off ebay and see if it works. If it doesn't, (and you know its not a dead battery in the fob) you could try to re-sell it here to recover some of the cost