Subwoofer replacement and wiring.

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
bigdoug

Subwoofer replacement and wiring.

Post by bigdoug »

So I finally bit the bullet and installed the factory subwoofer into my 04 vibe, and although it doesn't blow the rear door off, I am impressed that it does seem to fill in the low notes. However, the rubber ring around the speaker has a small crack in it. So I've considered throwing in a cheap aftermarket speaker into that spot until I can get the money (likely not until after the Holidays) to upgrade it more.

2 Ohm DVC speakers are a bit on the expensive side. If I get a single voice coil speaker, should I get a 2ohm or 4ohm, and how should I wire it? Should I plug in all 4 wires into the speaker, or just pick two pairs of wires?

Also, anyone have any suggestions on good speakers that would fit in there?

Also, should I buy acoustic fill for inside the box or would craft store polyfill (used for stuffing animals) work as well?
SlammedNiss

Re: Subwoofer replacement and wiring.

Post by SlammedNiss »

If the OEM setup is already wired for a DVC sub, you'll need to replace it with another DVC sub. Do you know or do you have a multimeter to check the impedance of the OEM sub? If you're happy with the sound it produces, why not just repair the surround with some gasket sealer or something similar?
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

I've done some research now on subwoofers and I'm a bit stuck on which one to get.

Powered bass tubes are the cheapest option. Under-seat powered sub box is the next cheapest. Separate sub, amp is the most expensive unless I got a cheap Boss sub or something.

So, having never actually tried any of these, which ones do you use? Which ones do you like the best?
Derf

Post by Derf »

I thought I wrote down the sub size when I worked on mine, appears I did not. If you measure the speaker you may be able to find a foam surround kit and be able to repair the speaker:
https://www.parts-express.com/Search.as ... earch=true
When I researched the DVC sub speaker it was an odd shallow design, was not able to find any aftermarket speakers that fit. To make things harder, it is a 2 ohm speaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XddO7zKtN6k
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )