Dome Light

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions

Dome Light

Post by 2006 »

The dome light will only work if I press on the selector switch. There is a youtube video someone has made which shows this. I want to take it apart and see if there is something I can do with it. I've tried prying the lens off carefully, but the whole fixture seems to want to come out with it. I don't want to damage the foam- like liner. I was wondering if there is a little trick to remove the lens so I can get at the fixture. It's a 2006 by the way.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Last edited by 2006 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Caretaker

Re: Courtesy Light

Post by Caretaker »

(pre) ditto
Last edited by Caretaker on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Courtesy Light

Post by 2006 »

It's not a map light.... all I have is the mirror at the front. The light is actually above the rear seats near the middle is the ceiling. I have since edited my post..... and cut
it down considerably in the process.
andrewclaus

Re: Dome Light

Post by andrewclaus »

EBay has a photo: https://www.ebay.com/i/132723348755?chn=ps. That help? It looks like you need to remove the unit, get at the back of it to replace the bulb. In my experience with plastic pieces this old, it's likely something will break.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

you need to use a very fine screwdriver or pry tool to get the lense off of that.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I have an earlier model with no switch on the dome light, (the switch is part of the dash dimmer control).. Mine has a sunroof, and the sunroof controls include a push button map light, that I almost never use, and when I do try to use it, it usually doesn't work. I have to push the button many many times to clean out the switch and then it will work correctly for a while.

Maybe your dome light is something similar, and if you switch it many many times between door, off, and on, it will let the switch know you mean business and will wake up and listen to you.