Beeping Alarm Threads

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
tjdean01

Beeping Alarm Threads

Post by tjdean01 »

I've been poking around this site and other and whenever I find a thread about disabling the seatbelt alarm I get a link to a this thread that is 404 NOT FOUND. I've found this thread about clicking the odometer and turning the key and the link works, but can someone tell me if this fix in this link is what everyone is doing?

I'd like to not have the alarm going off when driving and having a bag in the passenger seat. I pulled the smaller of the 3 plugs under the seat and that stopped it, but I think that plug should probably be plugged in for the airbag or something when there's a person there. Why are there 3 plugs under the passenger seat anyway?

If the above button-pressing fix in the working thread I posted above is disabled by removing the battery, then I have to do it every time. So, I might just remove the speaker on the back of the CEL cluster. Any negative to doing this?

(Please no discussion of whether I should or shouldn't wear my seatbelt. Thank you).
2008 base 1.8L 285k
SeattleJeremy

Re: Beeping Alarm Threads

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I removed the speaker, but it was a pain because I left the headlights on a couple of times and came back to a dead battery.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
joatmon

Re: Beeping Alarm Threads

Post by joatmon »

tjdean01 wrote:I've been poking around this site and other and whenever I find a thread about disabling the seatbelt alarm I get a link to a this thread that is 404 NOT FOUND. I've found this thread about clicking the odometer and turning the key and the link works, but can someone tell me if this fix in this link is what everyone is doing?
Long story. Originally, this site used forum software called "zeroforum" and the links to the threads all had "zerothread" in them. In 2012, the site upgraded to the software currently used, phpBB, and links to threads now have "phpBB3" in them, and the thread numbers were re-indexed, usually to a lower number because for various reasons some threads get deleted. When the software was changed, the website was configured with a cross reference, so that when you clicked on any of the zerothread links, it would automatically redirect to the new phpBB thread number. A few years after that, something happened, and those redirects stopped working and the cross reference info was lost. I'm just a user, same as you, but I wish I had captured that info.
So, now there are a whole bunch of old zerothread links that no longer work. All that being said, I'd bet that the thread you found that does work was probably the same thread that the broken link used to point to. Nice detective work.

But I have an 03, so I can't say what everyone is doing
tjdean01 wrote: I'd like to not have the alarm going off when driving and having a bag in the passenger seat. I pulled the smaller of the 3 plugs under the seat and that stopped it, but I think that plug should probably be plugged in for the airbag or something when there's a person there. Why are there 3 plugs under the passenger seat anyway?
I don't know what options are in your Vibe, but some have an option package called Moon&Tunes, later called Sun&Sound, that provided a factory installed sunroof and an audio amplifier that was located under the front passenger seat. If you don't have a sunroof, then there are probably two plugs under the front passenger seat that were used for the optional audio amp. If you have the amp, and still have multiple unused connectors under there, then I'm not sure what they'd be for.

The airbag system might decide to not inflate the passenger side airbag if it doesn't sense someone sitting in that seat, so you should connect it back up whenever you give anyone a ride
tjdean01 wrote: If the above button-pressing fix in the working thread I posted above is disabled by removing the battery, then I have to do it every time. So, I might just remove the speaker on the back of the CEL cluster. Any negative to doing this?
I almost never disconnect my battery. Is that something you need to do often?

In addition to Jeremy and the headlights, the beeping has kept me from locking the car with my keys in the ignition a few times