AC blend door actuator follies

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
thatmemphisvibe

AC blend door actuator follies

Post by thatmemphisvibe »

We all can use a good laugh every day. Glad to oblige.
So, I've had the problem of not being able to run the AC in recirculate mode in my 2008. I haven't heard the telltale clicking noise of the actuator trying to move the door. We've having scorching temps here lately, and the AC just never catches up. After looking at a couple of youtube videos and reading up on this site, I decided I could tackle this job.
Rock Auto had a new actuator for $12 (probably my first mistake). Cheapskate that I am, I ordered it. Tried to install it last night, but the motor wasn't working consistently. I thought I could swap the RA gear into my original actuator and be OK that way, but it's apparently a bit too big and I couldn't close the case back up. Then I got the idea to swap my 2008 motor into the RA actuator and have a complete new set of gears inside. After a lot of cutting and fitting, the case went together fairly well, but didn't turn when I hooked it back up.
I was at my you pull it auto yard at 8 this morning and pulled three actuators from wrecked Vibes. (One did have a complete set of alloy wheels. Tempting) I opened each of them, and the damage inside got progressively more extensive. So I went back to the RA unit with the GM motor, and it was working pretty well this morning. I tinkered with the fit a bit more, and it seemed to be OK.
My question is this: Is the motor supposed to reverse direction (which seems logical to me) when it changes modes? When I install the actuator, the door is in the recirculate position. When I hit the button on the dash to change to the open position, the door moves back just fine. When I hit the recirculate button again, the door doesn't move. If the motor doesn't reverse -- at least mine doesn't -- how does it move the door in the other direction?
I went ahead and put the actuator in with the door in recirc mode, which is what I want now anyway. In the winter, I can open the door to get defrost. Next summer, I guess I'll be back into the dash to reset the recirc door. That process worked out pretty well. I didn't have to move anything to get access to the two screws. Even got both of them back in. The rubber band around the socket is brilliant advice. That's all I used.
If anyone can shed some light on why my door moves only one way, I would be grateful.
zbyers

Re: AC blend door actuator follies

Post by zbyers »

I believe that is the way it is designed. Basically that the only way the motor stops is to stall or something. It's a horribly funky GM setup. The Matrix does not have this issue.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe