A/C Blower, WindShield Wipers, an DRL won't shut off even with key out.

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
macaddictr

A/C Blower, WindShield Wipers, an DRL won't shut off even with key out.

Post by macaddictr »

So I have a 2009 Vibe and even with the key set to off an removed from the ignition the A/C Blower and Controls, the Windshield Wipers, the Daytime Running lights and the relay for taking release the car from park when the brake is on are all still working. My only solutions so far has been to remove the battery. I thought it was the A/C relay until I discovered all the other things that are still working. It seems like it is a relay somewhere, but I cannot find a decent wiring diagram to help me determine what relays are upstream and where they are located in the car. Has anyone else come across this and have any insight into what relay is stuck and where it is located on the car. Or perhaps I have it all wrong, and it's not a relay at all either way PLEASE HELP!!!
zbyers

Re: A/C Blower, WindShield Wipers, an DRL won't shut off even with key out.

Post by zbyers »

Have you done any recent modifications/repairs to the vehicle? It could be related to something you've tinkered on recently.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

My first thought is the ignition switch has failed.
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

It seems like far too many things still active for it to be a single relay, I would first suspect the ignition switch itself, or remote starter module if you have one of those.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

macaddictr, Welcome to GenVibe!

You didn't say, so I tend to ask, how long have you had the car, has it always been this way, or is this something that just recently started happening? If it jsut started, was anything done to the car about the time the problem started happening?

I don't have any wiring diagrams for the 09-10's. On the 03-08's, the blower, wipers, power windows, probably DRLs, washer, and probably some other things get power from the ignition relay I have no idea where that might be on an 09, but a stuck one of those might be another possible cause for what you're seeing. Would be nice if it were, a relay is easier to replace than an ignition switch.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

joatmon wrote:macaddictr, Welcome to GenVibe!

You didn't say, so I tend to ask, how long have you had the car, has it always been this way, or is this something that just recently started happening? If it jsut started, was anything done to the car about the time the problem started happening?

I don't have any wiring diagrams for the 09-10's. On the 03-08's, the blower, wipers, power windows, probably DRLs, washer, and probably some other things get power from the ignition relay I have no idea where that might be on an 09, but a stuck one of those might be another possible cause for what you're seeing. Would be nice if it were, a relay is easier to replace than an ignition switch.
Yup, everything he listed is an "ignition" powered item, as opposed to things such as the radio, which is powered in the "accessory" position. If I had to guess, I would imagine it would be under he hood in that fuse/relay block.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
macaddictr

Post by macaddictr »

Thanks for the quick replies, unfortunately, I wasn't getting notifications. To answer the questions nothing that I know have has been changed on the car recently. I was able to test the ignition switch and it seems to appropriately cut the power so I assuming that there is a relay attached to the ignition that has failed. I can't find a wiring diagram so I am assuming that there is an upstream relay for the ignition that controls power to secondary relays for A/C blower which I was able to find and test (it works). What I can figure out is where that upstream relay is. I have identified every relay that is in the fuse box in the car and the relays that are under the hood in the fuse box and none of them are the culprit. When I disconnect and reconnect the battery I can here another relay click somewhere inside the car, but I have not idea where it is it. I could really use a good wiring diagram or exploded diagram. I tried a Haynes manual but it was junk and didn't have the complete diagram.
pwyu1969

Post by pwyu1969 »

I feel your pain. Mine was the DRL, center dash lights, and door buzzer. I think my (our) problem is a bad ground somewhere. I saw a video online with another car where there was a bad ground at the ignition switch that kept a bunch of stuff on. Since I think the dash lights, buzzer and DRL are connected systems, I just cut the DRL wires at the light assembly unit and it fixed my problem. Though in your case I’m not sure how the A/C fan, DRL and wipers are connected... please post your fix when you find it.

Btw, my quick fix was to just disconnect the black battery terminal when I came to longer stops. Pain in the (removed), but it got me to the weekend until I could mess around with it.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Check your IG 1 Relay that is located at the Fuse Block IP. This relay sends power directly or indirectly to all the items you listed. I do not have a full wiring drawing and information about where this relay is located. From the information I have, I believe that the relay is behind the IP storage compartment tray. It is on the junction block that has the turn signal flasher. Next to the flasher are what looks to be relays and I think IG 1 relay is one of those relays as one of the drawings I have list the IG 1 relay at Fuse Block IP.

Turn on your turn signal and listen for the ticking of the turn signal flasher; that will be where you what to check to find the IG 1 relay. You will have to remove the lower panel that is to the left of the steering wheel to get to the flasher and the relays. If that relay is fused in the on position, you will have power sent to all the items you listed, all the time. If that relay is being told to stay pulled in, then you have a ignition switch or wiring problem. At least these is the place I would start my testing and troubleshooting from.
Don_ra2906

Post by Don_ra2906 »

Did you ever find a solution to your wipers being stuck on ? I have an 06 and my wiper (1st rear wiper and washer) and now my front wipers have been stuck on when the car is on. Car has sat for a many months when I decided to start it to make sure it would. I have pulled fuses and wipers sill run. I recently got a new battery thinking the old one had low voltage. No joy. I assume a relay has stuck closed but can't seem to find a wiper relay in any drawing.

Any help would be appreciated. Ready to sell the car, but have to make sure wipers work properly.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

There are three associated fuses, WIPER, RR WIPER and WASHER in the fuse box inside the cabin, under the steering column. Did you pull all those fuses? (Look in your owners manual for fuse box layout and location, and download the manual from GM if you don't have one.)

I'm not positive, but I think all the controls are in the base of the wiper switch in the steering column. My guess is there's a short circuit in that switch. Unfortunately you'll have to pull the steering wheel to get to it, and you'll have to remove the air bag to get to that. Be aware of safety issues with the air bag if you work on it.