Random alarm activation

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
BustedVibe

Random alarm activation

Post by BustedVibe »

Starting a new thread on this to make sure it doesn't get overlooked from my other thread..

I just had to go out and shut my anti-theft alarm off. Pretty sure I did not lock the car when I got home as my hands were full and I have no working remote currently. I did put the key in the door to get inside, just on instinct, but am relatively sure the car was unlocked. At least the drivers door.

The car did this the other day as well, so this is two times that I know of.
The only major thing that happened recently were the windows were cracked when it started storming bad. It did get wet around the inside edges of the interior and some of the passenger seat / drivers seat but I'm not sure what would cause this.

That day I left the car completely open overnight in the garage. I have only had it rain in the car one other time last year when I was in a store with my sunroof left open. Dried out int he garage with no seemingly ill effects. I should note that when I went out there I can see it had been raining. The car was wet ont he exterior and the ground was wet, etc. The keyless entry remote done went and kicked it, so assuming the new one works when it shows up and I program it on Sunday, kind of looking for ideas of what to do here.

I'd rather not have to drag this thing into a dealer. If it comes down to it and its easy, I'd maybe take advice on just cutting/deactivating the whole system.

but for now troubleshooting advice? battery is only a year or two old so I'm not sure it would be that but I can have my mechanic check it.

Re: Random alarm activation

Post by BustedVibe »

Don't know if its pertinent but it just went off as I was finally falling asleep this morning (and have to be up for work in 45 minutes :lol: )
But I didn't make it out the before it decided to turn itself off.

So I think it went off for about 30 seconds before stopping itself... Does that sound familiar to any kind of issue, or just standard function?

Re: Random alarm activation

Post by BustedVibe »

So I think I may have figured out what is going on, also in relation to my previous dead/intermittent keyless remote.

There seems to be an issue with a door sensor, probably drivers side. My brother came to me earlier in the morning before I'd left for work and asked why my remote was in pieces, and then told me he put it together and it worked fine. Sure enough he was correct.

When I got to my first stop at work, the remote "stopped working" again.. So I opened and reclosed my drivers door and it worked like it was before.
We looked at the car later when I was home for the day and he also noted the contact mechanism for the rear hatch window and how the pins were dirty so maybe the inside of there should be cleaned as well.

But I suppose my further concern is the door latch for the drivers door. What would cause it to NOT be depressed enough even when I am closing the door properly, etc. Or what is causing it to be closed but register as not so? Its covered by the rubber cap piece, but I guess its possible its dirty. I guess I'm worried it could be physical stress as well like the door no longer sitting properly ?

To start with should it be OK to pop that rubber cover and hit it with CRC electrical cleaner, then some silicone lubricant? Likewise for the hatch glass, and perhaps the hatch lock mechanism itself.. Can i just hit all that stuff with contact cleaner and then silicone lube?

On the up side I have a remote for the "spare" (original key I got with the car) now. Although its panic button doesn't seem to work, which is actually fine I have no need for one and it looks easy to set off being on the back like it is.. lol