Sirus XM Offer

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
jake75

Sirus XM Offer

Postby jake75 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Got an email offering 3 years for $99 to activate XM on my Vibe. I called them and asked if I could use that offer on my Equinox as that is my primary vehicle. Talked to 3 people. The first two never heard of that offer. The third says I could not use it to activate service on the XM radio in my Equinox. Oh well, I guess I saved $99. Plenty of free music on am and fm. I mentioned that their website says I could transfer service from the Vibe radio to a new vehicle but was told I could not transfer a promotional deal. The only deal they offered on the Equinox was $99 for 1 year.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."

Caretaker

Re: Sirus XM Offer

Postby Caretaker » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:25 am

Yep; those of us Vibe owners who took a huge risk in '09 by buying a lifetime plan, helping to bail Sirius XM out of financial difficulty as their stock lagged at 63 cents a share, were thanked by a provision which prevents us from doing a one time transfer. Here are the rules for lifetime owners:

If you purchased a Lifetime subscription

Before June 20, 2005: Yes, it is transferable from one radio to another any number of times.*
From June 20, 2005 until September 7, 2007: Yes, your Lifetime subscription is transferable a maximum of three times.*
On or after September 8, 2007: Lifetime subscriptions associated with home, portable or dock & play radios can be transferred a maximum of three times.* Lifetime subscriptions first associated with or transferred to radios installed in vehicles by automakers or dealers are NOT transferable unless the radio is stolen, accidentally damaged or defective

So for us lifetime Vibe owners, we get a whole-lota-nothin' when it comes to extending our "lifetime" listening while driving. I need to keep this oil guzzler alive for one last cross country trip. Then, any additional time I get out of the car while living in tropical paradise will be considered a bonus. There are now plenty of listening options installed into current model cars that render XM customer service's bag of lies moot.
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
** 2009 Vibe: 1.8 liter automatic **
** 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring **
** 2007 Honda Fit Sport **

jake75

Postby jake75 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:36 am

I never had any subscription, let alone a lifetime subscription. The 3 years for $99 seemed to finally be what it is worth to me, but didn’t want it on my Vibe which is now our least used vehicle, wanted it on my Equinox. I can understand the logic re a lifetime deal, a person could stretch that for decades. But there is I think the ability to transfer a term of years subscription. There is a $15 activation on such transfer, but it is still xx number of months for yy dollars. I guess the $99 for 3 years deal is an attempt to get revenue from aged vehicles only. It’s all marginal profit for them. Adding a unit costs them nothing. Not allowing my Vibe offer to be used on my Equinox is a loss of $99 for XM. I guess they hope I will opt for the one year $99 deal. Nope, not gonna happen.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."

tpollauf

Postby tpollauf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:38 am

Caretaker wrote:Yep; those of us Vibe owners who took a huge risk in '09 by buying a lifetime plan,

I'm one of them also :o

Bought our first sirius radio somewhere back in 2005 and immediately paid the lifetime subscription. Back then I think it was $299 (no royalty fees) and it was a gamble as they were still new to the industry and you never knew if they would go bankrupt in the future. Second radio was purchased two years later along with the boom box (use it on job sites and the lake/beach) and also purchased lifetime subscription for the same $299. Third radio was my 2009 Vibe Gt and purchased the lifetime (went up to $399, still no royalty fees) and will keep this car 20-30 more years or till I'm in my grave :oops:

Had the home receiver transferred once in 2010 and the boom box one in 2014. Both were the basic $75 transfer fee. To date, I'm ahead of the game on all three and somewhat satisfied with the whole Sirius/XM system.

For my remaining cars (truck, wife ,son) I negotiate the promotional 6 months/$30 plan twice a year. Never had any problems yet!
"everything is modifiable"

Return to “Audio, Electronics, Electrical”