Blend door actuator

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Sargeyork

Blend door actuator

Post by Sargeyork »

Has anyone actually paid to have the blend actuator replaced if so what was the cost in parts and labor as I just don't want to do this but I also want to pay a reasonable price but have never encountered this on any vehicle I have ever owned.
zbyers

Re: Blend door actuator

Post by zbyers »

I feel the cost to take it to a garage would outweight the benefit of it being someone else's headache. I'd expect at least an hour of labor, just because it is a pain to reach. So that alone you're looking at $65-$95 an hour depending where you live.

Drink a few cold brews and do it yourself. Then drink a few more as you're doing it because you're aggravated. Finally, finish off with a couple extra for a job [mostly] well done.

It's not difficult, just a pain to reach. RunningSlow (Josh) made a fancy little tool to help do this job.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I can't speak for others, but it might be possible for you to get someone at the upcoming Meet to do it for a reasonable price. I can't make it there myself this year, but details of the meet are in viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46453

It's in Clinton Twp, a little over an hour from you in Hazel Park, pretty much next door for you.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Good call, Joatman. I didn't even look at the location. I agree; come to the meet and one of us there oughta be able to give you a hand.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

I just did this last weekend. It's tough to reach, but doable. It took me about 15 minutes. The trick is to use a very small wrench that you can use with one hand. I have a bunch of "midget" wrenches that came with my craftsman set.

https://www.craftsman.com/products/craf ... wrench-set

-Bob
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

If I were to get a tool for this, I'd probably get a wrench with a ratcheting box end. I had a socket and ratchet but had to do it purely by feel since I couldn't both see and get my hand in at the same time from the glove box opening.

Don't forget the flip-the-sprocket trick - no new part required.

And i doubt a shop would charge just an hour -- my guess is that they'll start talking about removing the dash. Lucky you're near the meet!
Jammin81

Post by Jammin81 »

Hello all and back! Need advice on this stupid part.....
My second part broke and just pulled it from the car again.

Is there any serious stuff that can happen (long term/ short term) without this garabge designed pos?

The plastic cogs broke AGAIN! I will post pictures as maybe someone can use the canibalized parts for a guide or rotate the cogs ECT on a broken one.

For now I am driving without it as the clicking was making me nuts.
She had a face like a box of frogs!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

One of times mine broke I set it to fresh and then disconnected the electrical connector. I can't remember the last time I used recirc.

I don't know if the fresh/recird door tends to default to one position or another if the actuator is removed, or if it swings freely depending on its mood.