No HVAC

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Anorine

No HVAC

Post by Anorine »

Hello All -

I have a 2009 Vibe GT and after work one day I went to drive home only to find I have 0 HVAC in the car. I turn the knob to all positions, nothing happens. The AC light will not even turn on. I have done the obvious as far as checking fuses, given the highest speed doesn't work, it should not be a resistor problem. There is flat out 0 volts at the plug for the blower. Anyone have any wiring diagrams or advice? I'd rather not hit the stealership, but with the lack of accurate info out there, I'm having a hard time solving the problem.

Edit: I've read on some other posts that people have had success replacing the relay with similar issues. Given that I cannot find schematics to save my skin, is this the relay near the interior fuse box?
joatmon

Re: No HVAC

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe

My library system has an automotive repair info database on line, and it often doesn't have what I'm looking for, but in this case, it had the attached diagram for a 2009 Vibe blower circuit. I can't say exactly how accurate it is, seems plausible though.
09blower.jpg
09blower.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
If the diagram is accurate, then the problem of getting 0V to the blower could be from either
- blown 50A heater fuse in the underhood fuse block
- bad heater relay The diagram says the relay is in the I/P (instrument panel) fuse block. On 03-08 Vibes, its in a junction block over the glove compartment, no idea where it is in an 09-10
- Something amiss with the "HVAC CONTROL MODULE" not providing a ground to energize the heater relay. No idea on that one, pretty sure my 03 Vibe has no such control module

So, in addition to checking for 12V across the blower motor connector, each of those independently to see if one or both of them is a ground, or if one has 12V to a known ground.
Anorine

Post by Anorine »

This is amazing information! Thank you! Should the weather break here post work, I will take a look. I have a new relay on the way, should be delivered tomorrow.
Anorine

Post by Anorine »

After checking voltages I found the switch itself is broken. I have one of the very first builds of the car, I ordered it from the factory before the car was actually released. Because of this, the switch is the first design which is not only a horrible design, but also over double the cost.

After checking all the voltage points, none of the lights come on when the HVAC buttons are pressed... Anyone have any clues on that? I can check in the morning once I have some light.
Soulmanvibe

Post by Soulmanvibe »

I had the same problem with my 2006 Vibe. Nothing related to A/C worked. My mechanic couldn't figure out the problem (don't get me wrong, this guy is a treasure) and advised me to google the problem. I consulted this post for the schematic (thank you!), went to a wrecker and pulled a blower, A/C switch and HVAC relay from a 2004. I had been told at my auto parts store that it would take three weeks to get the HVAC relay into Canada. It was so hot I couldn't wait so hence the wrecker. I found the relay above the glove compartment of the wrecked Vibe and pulled it out. The wrecker charged me .99 cents Canadian for the relay. When I got home, I decided to try replacing the relay first. I pulled the old relay out and after some fussing got the replacement relay in. Since it is above the glove compartment and the relays are on top of the module, I had to so this all by feel. I said a prayer, turned everything on and IT WORKED! This isn't bad for someone who didn't even know what a relay did before. If everything goes out at once (blower, A/C light etc) it's probably the relay. It's a pretty simple fix once you figure it out.
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

my 06 has been doing the same exact thing recently intermittently and today it seems to have bought the farm.
no a/c light when pressed
no fan speeds in any switch position

being familiar w how the a/c electrical system operates i know for a fact it's not the fuse(s) because if the fuse circuit is open then it would be a permanent issue.

i know it's not the fan because the fan doesn't cut out the power to both a/c light and recirc light.

i know it's not the resistor because all fan speeds are available whenever the system wants to come on.

i know it's not the wiring because everything works whenever the system feels like it wants to come on.

this leaves only the relay. not surprising since every time the fan is turned on the coil energizes and pulls the switch. every single time a small spark occurs for every circuit connection/interruption. sooner or later it'll wear out.

i still have to r&r my relay for the final result.

there's also a TSB for the toyota camry w this same exact issue. if the a/c light does not illuminate when requesting air conditioning then replace the relay.

update:
it was the relay after all.
reuseaway

Post by reuseaway »

My blower motor on my 2005 vibe totally stopped working recently. After checking the fuse, i looked at a video about how to change the blower. The guy made an offhand comment about the connector going to the motor not looking right after he took it off. I removed the computer and was about to take the blower out when I decided to grab the connector and wire and flex it a little. That got the fan working temporarily. It's not a permanent fix but the problem is the connector not the blower. Now I've got to find the replacement connector.

Charlie
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

reuseaway wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:43 pm My blower motor on my 2005 vibe totally stopped working recently. After checking the fuse, i looked at a video about how to change the blower. The guy made an offhand comment about the connector going to the motor not looking right after he took it off. I removed the computer and was about to take the blower out when I decided to grab the connector and wire and flex it a little. That got the fan working temporarily. It's not a permanent fix but the problem is the connector not the blower. Now I've got to find the replacement connector.

Charlie
I believe this is the wire you are looking for.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC ... qAQAvD_BwE
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
reuseaway

Post by reuseaway »

That's it Thanks.
reuseaway

Post by reuseaway »

Replacing the connector fixed the electrical problem but I had some more fun.

When I started the fan I got grinding noises! I figured out that you can remove the cabin filter and reach in a spin the fan by hand. It was definitely not spinning free when mounted but fine when removed.

This video showed me how to fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e60wS3_C9s

It's not about a Vibe but it shows you how to use a socket to make sure the blower wheel is well seated on the shaft.

I saw another video that showed someone using a tie wrap to pull on the connector to prove it was a connector problem. I wondered if you could have used it to stress the connector in the right way to avoid replacing it.

Charlie
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Hey - it's just good that it's working for you now. I've had a lot of 'Let's spend hours and hours on a project' where the end result isn't "Hooray!" but rather "It's done... whew!"