06 Vibe Base, dreaded no audio issue

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Blue06B

06 Vibe Base, dreaded no audio issue

Post by Blue06B »

Hey all! Love the forum!

So we just bought a beautiful 06 Vibe Base, and hubby's first order of business was to replace the oem radio with a dual aftermarket stereo.

Got everything hooked up, no audio. Hours of googling resulted in information about the monsoon/moon and tunes package, which, in turn, led to the important note about hooking up the blue/white wire to pin B3. Still no audio.

The blue/white wire on the aftermarket harness is already on b3, but I think he needed to hook the blue/white b3 on the aftermarket adapter to the solid blue wire on the harness that hooks up to the back of the new stereo, which he didn't do and we're gonna try.

He thinks the oem 12pin harness had something to do with it; there's no place to hook up the 12 pin on the aftermarket stereo, so either we need a workaround for it or it doesn't get used. We just don't know which.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Added pics of the harness adapter: i think the blue/white on the grey adapter needs to hook up to the solid blue on the small white adapter.

Derf

Re: 06 Vibe Base, dreaded no audio issue

Post by Derf »

Some more details about the radio and the Vibe would be helpful. Does the Vibe have a sub spekaer in the rear passenger side hatch area? Does it have a black box under the passenger seat? Also what kit did he get with the radio, did it include the harness as a "vibe" ready bundle or where the parts purchased separately.

This link may help identify items in the vibe audio setup
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40421
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Blue06B

Post by Blue06B »

It worked!!! The blue/white wire from the adapter has to be matched with the solid blue wire from the new harness that goes to the new stereo, so hopefully anyone else with this issue in the 06 will stumble across this forum.

Can anyone tell me what the 12 pin oem harness is for? I'm really curious; it seems like it's not used for aftermarket installations but it has to serve some purpose, I just don't know what....
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Glad you got it worked out.
Blue06B wrote:Can anyone tell me what the 12 pin oem harness is for? I'm really curious; it seems like it's not used for aftermarket installations but it has to serve some purpose, I just don't know what....
I've attached a file matrixradio.pdf It's a wire diagram out of a matrix service manual that shows both the base and moon&tunes (M&T had door tweeters and an external amp under the front passenger seat), and also the factory Navigation unit setup, which came with an external CD changer.

In a car with the moon&Tunes, the second connector has one wire that sends a "Mute" signal to the external amplifier. No idea what happens if that isn't hooked up.

In cars with the factory NAV head unit, the second connector is also used to connect to the external CD changer. It may be possible that the one and 6 CD (non-NAV) radios might also work with the external CD changer, but I don't remember anyone ever testing that. Those with NAV units usually only gripe about no NAV DVD updates. I would never go to the trouble of putting a CD changer in my Vibe, all my music is on my smartphone, bluetooth or an AUX in would be immensely more useful these days
Attachments
matrixradio.pdf
(37.59 KiB) Downloaded 126 times