09-10 Monsoon system w/sub and Gm's OnStar

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
sleeperrx7

09-10 Monsoon system w/sub and Gm's OnStar

Post by sleeperrx7 »

Hello, I'm new here.

I have recently purchased a 09 Vibe with the monsoon sound system w/Subwoofer and I have GM's OnStar which I will not use.

What have you guys/gals done to bypass the factory amp/OnStar? The monsoon system is o.k., but I want to make it better. I see write ups for the previous gen vibe/matrix's out there, but nothing specific to my 09.

I want to install a Pioneer head unit and hardwire all the speakers directly to the radio. I may upgrade the factory 8" sub to something else though keeping the factory/modding the sub enclosure. What should I do about the factory amp and what electronics are wired through it? Thanks for the help. Like the forum!

Thanks

Josh
MacGyver

Re: 09-10 Monsoon system w/sub and Gm's OnStar

Post by MacGyver »

Welcome to GenVibe!

The amp is under the front seat. You'll need to cut off the plugs and either bypass the amp or install a new amp in its place. A multimeter will be required to figure out what wire goes where. Run RCAs from the aftermarket deck to the new amp through the center console, abandoning the existing wiring from the deck to the amp. You'll need to build a custom mount for an aftermarket amp. This video shows an amp install on a first gen base to give you some ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5WfkNQWI1Y

You can't run the sub without an amp. You can run the door speakers off deck power of an aftermarket deck. Replacing the aftermarket deck requires a Metra 70-2105 with the pink/red wire relocated to pin position 13, and a Scosche TA2102B dash kit. OnStar will not work at all after using this harness, except WiFi and theft tracking. Pull the MAYDAY fuse in the underhood fuse box to disable OnStar and avoid a red light on the mirror.
2009 Vibe Base
sleeperrx7

Re: 09-10 Monsoon system w/sub and Gm's OnStar

Post by sleeperrx7 »

Just curious, why does the pin need relocated? Thanks for the info