Is OEM Single CD Player Interchangeable with 6-CD Player?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
rhino1

Is OEM Single CD Player Interchangeable with 6-CD Player?

Post by rhino1 »

I have an '07 with a broken OEM 6-CD Player. Planning to sell car, and I want a working radio in there, but at minimum cost.

I see that I can buy the single OEM CD player/radio cheaply on EBay or at the salvage yard. Will it work (that is, all functions) with my existing harnesses/plugs? It looks like it has the correct number of pins.

Thanks.
jolt

Re: Is OEM Single CD Player Interchangeable with 6-CD Player?

Post by jolt »

I can not answer your question but I do know a lot of GM factory radios need to be programmed to match the cars VIN number before they will work. So that is something you will want to check into also as your cheap GM used radio may not end up being cheap by the time you are done at the dealership getting the used radio programmed, if that is needed. Here is a place that repairs OEM radios: https://www.cd4car.com/Pontiac/Vibe/2007/
rhino1

Post by rhino1 »

Pretty sure that I've read that Vibes don't have the GM audio security feature (it's just a GM radio inside a Toyota). So it's pretty much plug and play on replacements, without the need for reprogramming.

Just not entirely sure about going from 6-CD player to single, without the need for new harness, etc. Btw, I do know that I don't want a Panasonic radio out of a Matrix.

???
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I sometimes use car-part.com which is an online tool to search US junkyards for parts. While I know for sure that the single CD and the 6 CD units are plug and play interchangeable on the 03/04's, I see from car-part.com searching for 07 vibe radios the results include radios from 03-08 Vibes, and a few matrixes. They are really good at ensuring the interchangeability so I trust them that a single CD out of any 03-08 Vibe will drop right into your 07 Vibe.

I do not know for sure if a radio out of an 03 would work with factory XM, if you have that.

Other than that, yes, an 03-08 radio, whether single CD, 6 CD, or even the NAV unit would plug right into your 07. Obviously the nav unit would need other stuff, like an antenna, etc.

Are you selling the car because of the airbag sensor issue or were you fixing that to sell the car?
rhino1

Post by rhino1 »

Thanks for suggesting and checking on car-part.com. I guess I just don't understand very well how it works---I can see that '03 6-CD changer models are interchangeable with '07, for example; they all show up when I'm searching for an '07. But I don't see where it tells me that a 6-CD changer is interchangeable with the single CD player. ???

Ironically, I'm planning to sell the Vibe because I finally fixed the airbag sensor issue, by replacing the seat and buckle. It would have been very difficult, I think, to get a decent price for the car with the airbag sensor issue hanging out there.

Thanks again.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I guess I didn't word it that well. I know from looking at wiring diagrams and from a variety of posts here of other people's experience swapping the two that the 1CD and 6CD are interchangeable. I only used car-part.com to verify that units in the 03-08 range were interchangeable.

Will you replace the Vibe, and if so, what will/did you get?
rhino1

Post by rhino1 »

Oh, I understand now. Thanks so much for checking into this for me.

Replacement for the Vibe likely will be the next generation RAV4, which will be introduced in the 2019 model year. That's a good question for other Vibe enthusiasts too.
bratboy

Post by bratboy »

Can someone post a pic of the 6 cd unit so I know what to look out for?
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

bratboy wrote:Can someone post a pic of the 6 cd unit so I know what to look out for?
It looks like this...

2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport