Stereo system upgrades

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
pjk6790

Stereo system upgrades

Post by pjk6790 »

Hey all.
Just got a 2009 vibe awd. Id like to get the stereo upgraded. Id like to keep new set up under 600$ (speakers, sub, amp,). Any suggestions are very welcome. I also saw several sound proofing vids. Should i pursue sound proofing her to? I realize this will add more money especially if i get a shop involved.
Thanks
joatmon

Re: Stereo system upgrades

Post by joatmon »

Congrats on getting a VIbe, and welcome to GenVibe!

Hopefullly someone with actual advice on sound systems will reply, I'm still running stock on my 03
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Things like head unit, speakers, and an amp are pretty easy to install as long as you have enough knowledge to take apart the cars interior and put it back together. Doors are easy as long as you can route the wiring, amps not so much.

If you aren't comfortable with a full teardown to install an amp I would suggest just going with a good head unit and replacement speakers.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Where are you located (update profile for us) and what are your plans for the original radio once you get it replaced?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Derf

Post by Derf »

Tons of options for upgrades. Since you have the first step of identifying a budget, what items do you need from the new system; bluetooth audio, aux in, CD, handsfree phone setup?

Many of the posts on the forum offer makes and models of equipment that fit the 2009 Vibe. Of the $600 budget, I would factor about $150+ for sound deadening, especially the front doors and cabin area. if you are replacing the speakers. Sound deadening can make a $100 head unit sound like a $200+ unit just by reducing the amount of background noise your audio competes against.

I had put together details on removing and installing car parts during an audio upgrade This is for a 2005, the tear down for your 2009 is different but many of the concepts will carry through.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40421
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
pjk6790

Post by pjk6790 »

Nice, i have watched your 05 install vids. Thats what got me on the current kick im on. Great vids very informative. My 09 vibe is a bit different. I have the base stereo system. As such i have no tweeters and no sub hole. Any suggestions. Should i shop for speakers with out independent tweeters? What about the sub? Id like to maintain storage area. But am not staunchly opposed to the idea of it being in a cabinet.
Thanks
Derf

Post by Derf »

With a basic setup, adding tweeters and a sub become more complicated. The question then becomes how much of the car are you willing to modify and what tools do you have? I would stick to speakers with build in tweeters, will make the install cleaner. For woofers have you looked at the smaller under seat sub installs? They can save space, and sometimes have a built in amp that reduces install time. I am not sure what the underside of the 09 seats looks like.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

In terms of subwoofers I have this one attached to the back of my rear seats using the screw in rail system and it works wonderfully connected to a picasso nano 5 channel amp. I do wish it was a bit smaller but with the sound I wanted a 10 inch was the smallest I wanted to get in shallow mount...

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SWX25 ... bwoofer+10
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330