After Market Radio - 07 vibe - BASE Model

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
rcravatta

After Market Radio - 07 vibe - BASE Model

Post by rcravatta »

Installed a Power Acoustic PD-762. Everything is installed and working but I was concerned about one unconnected wire. I never connected the Antenna Power Trigger (black) to the switched 12v. I assumed that was for a power antenna and didn't need it. After some research, maybe it sends power to the antenna? The thing is though, I am getting all my radio stations. Just one that is 100+ miles away I no longer get clearly as I did with my old radio. Do you think I need to connect that wire? Seems like its not needed. Obviously I have the antenna cable plugged into the radio. I'm talking about the (black) wire in the bundle.

1. Could it possibly be a non-powered antenna?
2.I also never connected the AMP wire to the switch 12v because I didn't think I had and AMP. It was a base model and assumed it did not come with one. Any thoughts on that? Everything is working.
joatmon

Re: After Market Radio - 07 vibe - BASE Model

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to GenVibe!
rcravatta wrote:
1. Could it possibly be a non-powered antenna?
2.I also never connected the AMP wire to the switch 12v because I didn't think I had and AMP. It was a base model and assumed it did not come with one. Any thoughts on that? Everything is working.
Unless the antenna was replaced, its an amplified antenna, and there is a (supposedly black) wire coming out of the stock radio that provides power to the antenna. However, I am not sure if the antenna amplifier affects all radio reception, or perhaps just AM. When you say you did not hook up the black Antenna Power Trigger wire in the harness, was that wire in the harness that came with the new radio, or was it in the harness that came from the factory in the car? If I remember right, the stock radio had two connectors, and on most, one connector only had one wire, which was the wire to provide power to the antenna. I think it was apparent from the way the wires ran, the antenna power wire was run with the antenna wires and the rest went into a large wire bundle. But I might not remember it right

Vibes came with option packages, initially called Moon & Tunes, and then Sun& Sound. Basically, if the car came from the factory with a sunroof, it also came with an audio amplifier under the front passenger seat, as well as separate tweeters in the doors, in the little triangle area on the inside of door where the external side mirrors attach. So, if the car has a sunroof, you have an amp, and if there's no sunroof, you don't, unless, of course, if somebody went in and modified it somehow