Parasitic Drain coming from DOME fuse.

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Iceman4193

Parasitic Drain coming from DOME fuse.

Post by Iceman4193 »

Hey guys and girls, so I have a parasitic drain on my battery that keeps killing it after sitting for about a day. Battery is good, alternator is good, I put a multimeter on it and I am getting a key off current of about .25A and up. When I pull the DOME 15A fuse, it drops to 0.
I did the test with the doors closed and the lights off, I unplugged the dome light bulbs and unplugged the aftermarket Pioneer AVH 3800 that I installed months ago with no issues and I am still getting the drain.
Are there any items in particular that are prone to have this issue on this car? What are your thoughts?

So far I am just unplugging the battery when parked to avoid a dead battery but I would like the find the issue.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
andrewclaus

Re: Parasitic Drain coming from DOME fuse.

Post by andrewclaus »

Here are the functions connected to the DOME fuse as listed in my wiring diagram:

ABS
Clock
Combination Meter
Cruise Control
Headlight
Illumination
Interior Light
Light Reminder Buzzer and Key Reminder Buzzer
Radio and Player
Seat Belt Warning
SRS
TVIP System
Wireless Door Lock Control

I haven't had to address this issue so I don't know which might be the culprit. If you have TVIP, I'd look at that first perhaps.
jolt

Post by jolt »

What year is your Vibe? Is it a first gen (2003-2008) or second gen (2009-2010) Vibe?
jolt

Post by jolt »

I take it you have 2004. Here is the wiring for that fuse:
Attachments
021il.pdf
Interior Light w/15amp dome fuse
(50.57 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Iceman4193

Post by Iceman4193 »

It is a 2004. What is TVIP?

So the best way to go about it is to just go to each of the components and check for power draw?
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
Iceman4193

Post by Iceman4193 »

I am looking at the diagram and there are a few things I am not sure where they are.
The courtesy lights for the doors and the back glass, do all vibes have them? I have never seen those.
Also the junction connector is another I am not sure what that is.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Iceman4193 wrote:It is a 2004. What is TVIP?

So the best way to go about it is to just go to each of the components and check for power draw?
TVIP stands for Toyota Vehicle Intrusion Protection. I got that off a Toyota wiring diagram so it may not apply. If your Vibe has an alarm system, it may be on the fuse.

Yes, unplug components to check for draw, same way you found which fuse the draw was on but now it gets harder.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Iceman4193 wrote:I am looking at the diagram and there are a few things I am not sure where they are.
The courtesy lights for the doors and the back glass, do all vibes have them? I have never seen those.
Also the junction connector is another I am not sure what that is.
My Vibe does not have those courtesy lights. It may also just be a Toyota thing. (Edit: You may be looking at courtesy switches at the doors and glass, not lights.)

Junction connectors are located throughout and are shorting terminals in the harness. It will have a number with it and you'll need a complete wiring diagram to locate it.
Last edited by andrewclaus on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is a link to a picture of where the integration relay can be found: https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/HbcAA ... s-l640.jpg

Most of the wires for this circuit connect to this relay so that would be a good starting spot to try to isolate which sub section of the wiring is causing the problem. It is strange that you did not ask what a combination meter is? Any wire that is white with a black stripe is a grounding wire and will not cause the current draw problem as it has to be there to complete the circuit.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

In the wiring diagram, all the lights are shown on the first page. Things on subsequent pages tagged with the word "courtesy" are switches, they are courteous and turn on the lights when the door or hatch are opened. The first page shows two variations of "Personal Light", if you have a sunroof, the personal light is built into the sunroof controls, but if you don't have a sunroof, you get two lights on the bottom of the interior rear view mirror.

A number of the various circuit diagram that might show the Dome fuse do so because the dome fuse seems to provide power to the warning beeper, which in part of the instrument cluster (combination meter).

You already tried disconnecting the radio, try the cluster, its pretty easy to get to.
Iceman4193

Post by Iceman4193 »

Thanks for the tips guys. I did not know the DOME went to the other fuse under the steering wheel. I will check that next to see if I can narrow it down and ill also check the instrument cluster as well. It is definitely not the lights or radio but I did notice that a few times I shut off the car and some of the gauges stayed at their last position so maybe they are drawing power.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles