How to replace Cruise Control module (2003 GT)

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
rjenglert

How to replace Cruise Control module (2003 GT)

Post by rjenglert »

I have a 2003 Vibe GT with 197K that I have owned since new. The factory cruise control has recently started cutting out randomly. I see the dash light blink off for a moment when this happens. The cruise control setting is forgotten when this happens.

After some searching I believe the cruise control module is going bad and I bought a used one from eBay to try to replace it. I believe the part is located under the dash somewhere but I cannot find the part or figure out how to replace it.

Can anyone point me to some instructions or provide any advice on how to replace this CC module? The car still runs great but I really need a working CC for the type of driving I do.

Thanks!
Bob
jolt

Re: How to replace Cruise Control module (2003 GT)

Post by jolt »

Here is a link: http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/82/20ino/x040001.pdf

The "COMBINATION METER ASSY" is the instrument gauge assembly.
rjenglert

Post by rjenglert »

Thanks very much. This is very helpful.

Bob
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

I know this is an older thread but I've got the same issue right now and did the same thing. Went on ebay and bought one of the cruise control modules after some research on the forum. I've also read that the cruise is linked to the brake light switch or clutch switch. I've got the third brake light out and I really hope that isn't causing my issue... How did yours turn out?
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

rjenglert wrote:The factory cruise control has recently started cutting out randomly. I see the dash light blink off for a moment when this happens.
I have this happen in my 03, but only in the winter when I am blasting the heat for a long time. I think I might have a air leak, and the HVAC is cooking the CC module. That's just a guess though, I haven't been bothered enough by it to spend money on fixing that problem.
rjenglert

Post by rjenglert »

The replacement cruise control module fixed the cruise cutting out on my GT immediately. It has been working perfectly since I replaced the module.

When I was having the problem the cruise would cut out and it would forget the speed setting, like it was turned off and back on. This told me it was not the brake or clutch pedal switches since if either of those had cycled the cruise speed setting would be retained unless the car fell below the minimum speed.

The eBay module I got was not the same part number as the original, but it is working great in my Vibe, and was an easy fix.

Bob
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Bought a used module off ebay. Works great!
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330