Outside Mirror switch replacement and radio not working

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
clearlyjames

Outside Mirror switch replacement and radio not working

Post by clearlyjames »

Two separate issues, from two separate incidents.

05 base model, 175k miles

First- Recently my side mirrors won't move via the control switch. Neither one. So I'm assuming the switch is faulty. Can anyone provide provide of general steps and what panel(s) need removed to replace this?

Second - several months ago I was removing my phone charger from the cigarette lighter socket. It was kinda stuck so I gave it a tug. As it came out of the socket the charger plug literally fell apart. As this was happening, the left side of the radio / control panel went dark while the right side is still lit up. The radio doesn't respond or work at all, the clock doesn't stay on unless the recall button is pressed, the back lighting on the left side is still out, and the cigarette lighter socket doesn't work. I checked the fuse panel and even replaced the one labeled for the cigarette lighter.
Would replacing the cigarette lighter socket likely fix this issue? Thoughts?
andrewclaus

Re: Outside Mirror switch replacement and radio not working

Post by andrewclaus »

Step 28 on this page http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/71/20ikx/x040001.pdf shows how to remove the switch panel. Make sure there's power to the switch before replacing it.

Interestingly enough, my wiring diagram shows the mirror switch being fed from the CIG fuse.

The CIG fuse is one of two power sources to the radio.

So it sounds like the CIG fuse blew again. If you put a new fuse on a shorted circuit, it would immediately blow. Remove the new fuse and test it for continuity. If no continuity, don't replace the fuse until you find the short, which is likely at the power outlet. So check that first, at least isolate the power from ground. Use an ohmmeter at the fuse load terminal to verify an open circuit before you put in a new fuse.
clearlyjames

Re: Outside Mirror switch replacement and radio not working

Post by clearlyjames »

Thanks
Ill give that a go.