Water damaged speakers !!!!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
cptnsolo77

Water damaged speakers !!!!

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Wow I havent posted in a while :lol: I have noticed that both my front speakers have not been working for a while, but have been waiting for cooler wheather to diagnose. 3 years ago I replaced all my speakers and insulated with a dynamat knock off. The moisture barrier was removed...from my research it was ok to do. I removed the speakers and guess what ??? water damage !!! Woofers are not working and no movement from the surround sounds like just the tweeters are working. Magnet has rust on them. Now im not sure if its due to now having the moisture barrier OR the window channel seal. I have noticed that some days my drivers seat is damp, I guessing that might be my issue. I was thinking to obviously replace the window channel seal, make my own moisture barrier and place it over the dynamat and buy one of those foam covers for the back of the speaker. That should have me covered. Im thinking it just may be the window channel seal because the rear speakers are fine. I looked inside the door with a flashlight for any traces of water/ stains etc. I used the same soundproofing material for the rear doors and no probs. Any thoughts ?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
ColonelPanic

Re: Water damaged speakers !!!!

Post by ColonelPanic »

Check derf's thread and video on the subject.

That's what lead to the demise of a cheap pair of Kenwoods I installed. I later noticed that the black trim on the door at the bottom of the glass was pushed toward the rear of the car, leaving a sizable gap at the front. Slid it as far forward as I could, so far so good.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Thanks ! I will take a look at that as well 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm guessing I need to revisit this as well, I didn't have things adequately sealed up. Took the ol' Vibe out today now that things have warmed up a bit. Hasn't been driven in about a month, last time I drove it the speakers were sounding fine. Today the front driver's side gives out.

The speakers are 6.5" Kickers. I do like the sound of them, but I guess I need to look into a "marine grade" sort of speaker next time. This car has been nothing but problems as far as speakers go for many years. This is the second set of aftermarket speakers I've had in the front.

Image Image
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Just to chime in, even when I had to drive through a foot of water (and it ate a starter motor), I didn't have speaker problems. So far, it was 14 years with a 2003 vibe, and now another two years with a 2007 vibe, and both have all the speakers still in reasonable shape (at least, judging by the sound).

Are you guys up north with rust in bottom of the doors?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

No rust in the doors on ours. Seems to be that water is running down from the windows into the door.

Every time I've taken the speakers out, the labels on the back showed obvious signs of having been wet. And a little corrosion on the speaker terminals.

Image Image