What's the "Mystery box" inside my front doors

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
buffboy

What's the "Mystery box" inside my front doors

Post by buffboy »

Hey, I'm prepping my doors for some serious sound deadening in my '05 and am currently building panels to plug the large openings in the door skin. I can't for the life of my figure out what the white plastic container bolted to the side-impact bar inside the door is. ??? I don't see any wires or sensors running to it and my internet search hasn't turned up anything helpful. Anyone on here know what purpose it serves?

It seems to line up with the foam block that is glued to the backside of the door panel, which I'm guessing is there for additional passenger protection in the event of a side impact.

Any insights appreciated - this one has me stumped!

Chris
Mystery Box2.JPG
Mystery Box2.JPG (63.54 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
joatmon

Re: What's the "Mystery box" inside my front doors

Post by joatmon »

I don't remember seeing that in the door of my 03, but that doesn't mean its not there.

There are numbers on the thing, but I can't read them in the picture. Did you try searching for those numbers online?
buffboy

Post by buffboy »

The markings on the part say: ">PP+E/P-T10<" which isn't a part number unfortunately, it's a description of the type of plastic used, according to this info sheet I found from Bombardier...

http://www.bombardier.com/content/dam/W ... 018-en.pdf

So while I now know it's likely made from a blend of Polypropylene, ethylene-propylene and terephthalate, it doesn't tell me what this part does. :(

Thanks for the suggestion though, Joatman. Can anyone else help identify this part for me?
gginnj

Post by gginnj »

Have you tried to remove/open it yet? You didn't get your car at a DEA auction did you?
gginnj

Post by gginnj »

By any chance, is this a rear door? If so, could this be a bumper to prevent the rear window from lowering all the way?
buffboy

Post by buffboy »

These are inside the front doors, and the windows do not contact them when rolled down. The boxes appear to be hollow with internal ribs in a grid pattern from what I can see.

And no, I didn't buy my Vibe at a DEA auction :lol:
joebiloba

Post by joebiloba »

Is it possible these are door weights? I was looking at YouTube videos researching power lock actuator replacement and remember seeing something similar that was described as a door weight..... Maybe?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Today I finally checked and my 2003 Vibe does not have those things in the doors
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

My parts diagram (2007) shows something there called a "Cushion-Front door stiffener." Part number 67923-02010.