Antenna wire terminator for connecting to factory stereo

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
schroedad

Antenna wire terminator for connecting to factory stereo

Post by schroedad »

New 2009 Vibe owner here and working to fix some issues. I removed the factory stereo to fix broken volume/tuner knobs (thanks for the great info on this board!) In the process I found the antenna wire is missing the plug on its end that goes into the factory stereo.
broken_wire.jpeg
broken_wire.jpeg (143.17 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Based on some research, it should have a black plug connected that looks like this:
vibe_antenna.jpg
vibe_antenna.jpg (34.22 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Does anyone know where I can find an adapter like this and how I might attach it to the end of the existing wire? I removed the whole wire harness shown in the picture above -- it disconnects behind the glove box and apparently is GM part # 19184464. The part is discontinued and our local dealer can't get it. Plus, I'd rather not spend ~$40 when all I need is the plug on the end. Thanks!
joatmon

Re: Antenna wire terminator for connecting to factory stereo

Post by joatmon »

Is the missing black part still stuck in the back of the radio?

If you stick the cable as is in the radio, does it work? (can you get radio stations?)
schroedad

Post by schroedad »

joatmon wrote:Is the missing black part still stuck in the back of the radio?
No, and I checked all around underneath and behind the dash in case it was dropped. The previous owner had installed an aftermarket stereo at one point so I'm wondering if it was accidentally pulled off and lost. The wire as-is doesn't fit into the stereo -- it's basically like connecting two male ends together.

I haven't had any success finding that specific end piece online anywhere.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

If that or any other piece gets dropped inside the dash, you're not getting it back without dismantling the entire interior of the car.

When I installed my aftermarket radio, I remember that piece popping off, but I was able to stick it back on.

Best bet is probably a junkyard.
2009 Vibe Base
schroedad

Post by schroedad »

Fixed! Best buy had an adapter they called a reverse antenna adapter. It had the right connector for the stereo on one end so I cut off the other and soldered it to the factory wiring harness. Plugged everything back in and it's working again! Here's a pic after the fix.
fixed_antenna.jpg
fixed_antenna.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 1377 times