My stereo died :(

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Morwenna88

My stereo died :(

Post by Morwenna88 »

This May when I went to listen to a CD in my car for the first time in a while, I discovered that my CD player was no longer operational. I looked it up and I guess this is a common problem with Vibe stereos. I tried all of the tricks to fix it and they didn't work, so I threw in the towel on that. Well, tonight my radio crapped out on me! I turned on my car, turned on the defrost, and suddenly my radio goes out and the screen blacks out. When I got home, I turned my car off and on, and the radio works for a few seconds but dies if the defrost is on. It stayed on when I turned the heat off but immediately died if I turned any of the knobs.

So, as for advice--I just want to know if this is a sign of a bigger problem. If it is, what do I need to get checked out? If it's not, what are some recommendations for a good stereo to get as a replacement for my 2004 AWD Vibe?
joatmon

Re: My stereo died :(

Post by joatmon »

The way the wiring is in these cars, there's no particularly logical interaction between the HVAC and the radio. The radio and the 12V outlet under it run off the same fuse, one quick check would be to see if that 12V outlet still has power when the radio does not. If it were my car, I'd probably pull the radio and make sure the wires on the back are fully plugged into the radio connectors, but beyond that, I don't know. When the radio dies, doe is lose or retain its clock setting?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Get any radio from Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Sony. Order from Crutchfield and they throw in the wiring harness and dash kit for free. Super easy install, all you need is a 10mm socket and about 30 minutes.
2009 Vibe Base
Morwenna88

Post by Morwenna88 »

So after that one incident, my radio worked again the next day and I haven't had a problem with it since. I still would like to replace the unit though because my CD player is definitely kaput. The radio did retain the clock settings when it worked again. It was a pretty cold night and when I turned my car on, the defroster was turned up full blast and the radio volume was pretty high. I will observe during the next cold spell to see if it happens again.