Where do I find replacement power lock actuators?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
milocat

Where do I find replacement power lock actuators?

Post by milocat »

I recently bought a 2009 Pontiac Vibe and it turns out that the front passenger and rear driver power door locks do not work. This is what happens:

- All doors locked. Press unlock button on key once. Driver door unlocks.
- Press unlock button again, rear passenger door and trunk both unlock.
- Press lock button. Driver door, rear passenger and trunk all lock.

The lock/unlock switch on the passenger door locks and unlocks the other door locks, but not its own lock. I have taken the door panel off and put a multi meter across the green and tan wires (to ground) and I can see a voltage pulse on both wires when locking/unlocking (I forget which wire is for lock and which is for unlock). This leads me to believe that the actuator mechanism is faulty. I have looked around and I cannot find a replacement anywhere.

So my questions are:

1. Can this be repaired? I tried to take the whole thing out but I couldn't get the bar from the external handle off.
2. Is it possible to find a replacement part anywhere?

Here is the plug I took off the actuator:
Actuator plug
Actuator plug
20170812_181214.jpg (341.89 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
I tested across the green and tan wires shown here (to a bolt on the door):
Actuator wires
Actuator wires
20170812_181226.jpg (434.68 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
This is what the rod looks like that attached to the top and prevents me from taking it out:
Rod attachment
Rod attachment
20170812_181144.jpg (42.87 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Here is what it looks like with the panel off:
Panel off
Panel off
20170812_181047.jpg (465.38 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
The car is the FWD with standard trim, 2.4L I think.

I would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks.
ehoff121

Re: Where do I find replacement power lock actuators?

Post by ehoff121 »

Does the passenger lock move at all when you hit the switch? I had a similar problem on a Toyota Highlander and had to replace the small motor inside the door lock actuator. They don't cost much compared to replacing the actuator unit and you pretty much did a lot of the work to get to the actuator already...

Do a google search for 'toyota door lock actuator motor' and you'll find lots of info on the motor, where to buy, and how to replace the $6 motor inside the actuator.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
milocat

Re: Where do I find replacement power lock actuators?

Post by milocat »

Hi,

No, the actuator does not move at all when I hit the switch. I'll take a look at your suggestion. Thanks.