Places to hard wire interior LED setups

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
bigdoug

Places to hard wire interior LED setups

Post by bigdoug »

So, while my dash is semi-disassembled, I'm considering using the opportunity to wire in some interior LEDs for lighting. I'm wondering where a good place to hardwire them would be.

I have considered using the dash 12v cigarette lighter jack wires. However, that means there would have to be a key in the ignition in order for the LEDs to light up. If I wanted the LEDs to be able to light any time I wished, where would a good place to hook them up be? Obviously the LEDs would also be controlled by a switch that I'd most likely mount near the rear glass button and coin holder.
MacGyver

Re: Places to hard wire interior LED setups

Post by MacGyver »

Use a fuse tap. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9CvUMcNQo

Just find a fuse that is always on.
2009 Vibe Base
bigdoug

Re: Places to hard wire interior LED setups

Post by bigdoug »

That's actually a great idea.

According to the wiring diagram that I have for the two power sockets, the 15v fuse for the dashboard jack (labeled CIG) goes through the ignition, so would probably only be on when the key is in run or acc. The other socket has a fuse labeled P/POINT that is before the relay that turns that socket on and off. It seems to lead directly from the battery, and may be a good point for anything I want on or off even with no key on.