Auto dimming on the headunit in a 2010 GT

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ImN3XU5

Auto dimming on the headunit in a 2010 GT

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Hey all. I installed a new headunit in my 2010 GT not long ago and noticed that the screen doesn't auto dim or anything when the headlights are on. I called Crutchfield's support and they told me that the "Illumi" wire in the new harness is supposed to be used for that but that there's no where to use it in the Vibe. I find that kinda hard to believe so I'm coming here for some help.

The picture below shows the mess of wires I have behind the unit and you can see the Illumi wire in there (circled in red).

MacGyver

Re: Auto dimming on the headunit in a 2010 GT

Post by MacGyver »

There is a wire on the factory harness that has +12V when the parking lights are on, I believe it is green. Use a multimeter to check.

You should clean up your wiring, too. Watch this video to see how the pros do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4tRzaNJXKA
2009 Vibe Base
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

MacGyver wrote:There is a wire on the factory harness that has +12V when the parking lights are on, I believe it is green. Use a multimeter to check.

You should clean up your wiring, too. Watch this video to see how the pros do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4tRzaNJXKA
Yeah I've cleaned it up some since I took that picture, that's the picture I took during the install a couple months ago. Do you happen to remember what pin the wire is on so its a little easier to find?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

ImN3XU5 wrote:Do you happen to remember what pin the wire is on so its a little easier to find?
I do remember that I needed to use a multimeter to find out. And my multimeter was dead so I had to buy a new one. Go to Harbor Freight and get one.
2009 Vibe Base
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

MacGyver wrote:
ImN3XU5 wrote:Do you happen to remember what pin the wire is on so its a little easier to find?
I do remember that I needed to use a multimeter to find out. And my multimeter was dead so I had to buy a new one. Go to Harbor Freight and get one.
Ok cool. Yeah I've got one somewhere around here. Do I need the key turned to test for the +12V or just turn the parking lights on?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

ImN3XU5 wrote:Ok cool. Yeah I've got one somewhere around here. Do I need the key turned to test for the +12V or just turn the parking lights on?
Just turn on the parking lights

I have wanted to try connecting it to the photocell on the dash so the head unit only autodims when it's dark, since I run my lights on during bad weather, but it makes the HU difficult to see. But I haven't tried it yet, as I suspect I'd have to rip the whole dash apart.
2009 Vibe Base
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

MacGyver wrote: Just turn on the parking lights

I have wanted to try connecting it to the photocell on the dash so the head unit only autodims when it's dark, since I run my lights on during bad weather, but it makes the HU difficult to see. But I haven't tried it yet, as I suspect I'd have to rip the whole dash apart.
Oh tearing the dash apart is always fun lol. Thanks for the help, I'm going to go out some time this weekend, its supposed to be even nicer on Saturday this week than last week so I'll give it a shot then.
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

I was able to get out to the car today with the nice weather and look for that wire. I was able to find it pretty quickly and get tapped into it. The wire you need to tap into, in case anyone is trying to do this as well, is the 5th pin from the right, top row of the left plug in the wire harness. Its a green wire. When the parking lights are on you get 12V out of it so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Thanks Mac!