Help with Replacing Cigarette Lighter Socket

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
CraigLloyd

Help with Replacing Cigarette Lighter Socket

Post by CraigLloyd »

The cigarette lighter stopped working at one point in my 2007 Vibe, but was too lazy to fix it until now.

For starters, I'm pretty sure it's not a blown fuse because the power outlet and the audio system still works (manual says all of that is connected to the same fuse). With that said, the cigarette lighter socket probably just needs replaced, but I'm having a hard time finding an OEM replacement.

If I'm correct, the part number is 88971515, but it's listed as a discontinued part on pretty every parts website. Thus, I can't buy it. Is there maybe an aftermarket socket that's a direct fit for the OEM one?

Also, if anyone has any tips for the replacement process, I'm all ears. Seems pretty easy, but the more there is to know, the better.

Thanks!
My Garage
2007 Pontiac Vibe (base trim)
2019 Hyundai Kona SE
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300
MacGyver

Re: Help with Replacing Cigarette Lighter Socket

Post by MacGyver »

Check for loose wires. The wire for the green backlit ring was flakey on my old 06 Matrix.

Best place to get a new socket if you need one is at a junkyard.
2009 Vibe Base
o2ej

Post by o2ej »

The "lighter" socket is blowing the fuse when a phone charger is plugged in. Would it be possible to replace with a USB port? And what level of difficulty to install a usb, if any are available? I've replaced the blower and resistor. After contorting and becoming triple jointed, we got the job done!

Oh its a 2006 base
jolt

Post by jolt »

The fuse is a safety device that is protecting the wiring from burning up. It is blowing because the charger/phone is pulling to much amperage. Changing the socket to a USB port may or may not fix the issue. By changing the socket, you will have changed the charger or added another adapter to the charger, which could reduce the amp draw and thus stop the fuse from blowing, or it may not. It will also increase the amount of time it takes to charge the cell phone. To blow the 15amp fuse, I would say try a different charger. Do not use a fast or rapid charger in a car. Your battery or phone may be going bad too.

As to changing the socket to a USB port. The car socket voltage varies from ~12.0 to ~14.5 volts. A USB port is designed for ~5.0 volts. You would need a USB adapter, not just a socket, to switch the car voltage to the USB voltage. The adapter will have the instructions for the wiring. You need to know the power draw in watts or amps of your charger so that you buy an adapter that is rated to handle the load. If the adapter is rated for to small of a load, it will burn up or the fuse will once again be blowing. By changing the socket, you have not addressed the problem, which is to much power being pulled by the charger/phone for the circuit it is connected too .

Here is link to an adapter: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

power rated for 15Watts. You can use Google to convert Watts <> Amps, figuring the car voltage is 13.5 volts.

More adapters: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... Submit=ENE

And I am sure Amazon has lots of adapters too. Here is link to them: https://www.amazon.com/usb-car-adapter/ ... %20adapter

Here is one that would be east to install: https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Charger-S ... ar+adapter

Note that it is fused at 10 amps and you are already blowing a 15 amp fuse so this is not going work with your charger.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I've had that go bad in one of mine, frustrating to plug in pretty much anything, and pop the fuse which kills the radio. I think they are especially susceptible if you plug something in and then twist it in the socket
CraigLloyd wrote:
If I'm correct, the part number is 88971515, but it's listed as a discontinued part on pretty every parts website. Thus, I can't buy it. Is there maybe an aftermarket socket that's a direct fit for the OEM one?
GM may not still offer them, but its a Toyota part really, and the Toyota part number is 85500-02011 which seems to be available from a lot of places on line, or likely your local Toyota dealer