New alternator and battery, turns off and kills battery.

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
rmslim1

New alternator and battery, turns off and kills battery.

Post by rmslim1 »

Hi all, i have an 03' Pontiac vibe AWD 1ZZ and it just recently began to turn off and to kill the battery. I thought it was the alternator, so I replaced it. I can jump start it, but it dies after 15-20 mins and it kills the battery completely. The only electrical work I've done to it is to replace a few blown bulbs w/ LEDs, replaced door speakers and now the alternator. I am mechanically inclined, but not a hardcore mechanic.

Thank you and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
vibrologist

Re: New alternator and battery, turns off and kills battery.

Post by vibrologist »

First thing to look for is the battery cables and cables to/ from alternator. Make sure there are excellent ground connections to the drive train and body.
Clean the battery poles really well, you may remove the alternator again and clean the mounting surfaces as they are the ground connections. Test the cables for continuity. Inspect the battery cables for corrosion. corrosion can creep under the insulation of the cable.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Buy a multimeter and diagnose a bad battery before you spend money on any other unnecessary repairs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COJr7OB23Hw
2009 Vibe Base
rmslim1

Post by rmslim1 »

The battery was replaced because it was already old, and the alternator was testing kinda low. It cranks up fine with a jumpstart, but it kicks the can after about 10-15 minutes of idling to charge the battery. When it dies, the battery is completely discharged.
I will reclean the battery posts and the alternator base and I will post up the results.

Thanks for the advice!
jolt

Post by jolt »

Test the battery and alt. Do not assume they are good because they have been replaced. Once it is running and jumpers removed, what happens if the head lights are turned on? Speed up engine and which headlights. Are they dim? Do the lights grow dim as the engine idles and brighten as engine speeds up? What do the voltage readings at the battery do when you speed up engine or turn headlights on?

You should also check for a current drain with an ammeter. What current is going in and out of battery as car is running and shut off? A hydrometer test on the battery cells? A bad cell will do what you describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7K_Xd3dSXU
rmslim1

Post by rmslim1 »

Thanks to @jolt and @macguyver, I did a little bit of everything that you guys recommended and she's putting like a kitten!

Thanks for your assistance! :D