What dash and door lights are SUPPOSE to work at night?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
EyeDocWA

What dash and door lights are SUPPOSE to work at night?

Post by EyeDocWA »

Helping my son with his first car. He's in Seattle and I'm in Portland. I just dropped in a used JDM motor into his 2005 Matrix. I prefer this forum over all others. Anyway, I noted his HVAC red lights are half out, so that in the list, but I was wondering about the left side where nothing is illuminated, meaning outside mirror settings and two switches, a tire pressure "set" switch and I forget the other to the left of it. Nothing lights up. Replace the tiny switch bulbs on ex-wife Honda, so I know someone makes bulbs if the manufacturer wanted to. Also, what about the door switches, is, window up and down switches...are they suppose to light up at night?

Lastly he's moving to Jersey with his Matrix and a small Cargo trailer. So I want to get this done. Any interior bulb writeups would be appreciated along with any advice. I'm a good part changer, but my hats off to a true mechanic!

Regards...Christen
MacGyver

Re: What dash and door lights are SUPPOSE to work at night?

Post by MacGyver »

I'm pretty sure that none of the switches are backlit. Only what's in the center stack.

The bezel around the radio pulls straight out with your bare hands.

The HVAC fan speed knob pulls off revealing a screw underneath to remove that bezel.
2009 Vibe Base
EyeDocWA

Post by EyeDocWA »

This site is a wealth of knowledge, Mr MacGuyver and I appreciate the speedy response. I agree that it appears that nothing to the left of the steering wheel on the '05 Matrix is backlit. Understand about pulling the radio bezel first, then removing the rest of the trim...Got it. Any issue with pulling out the white trim piece that holds the HVAC cluster? And are their two or four bulbs. Just getting ready for a junkyard run for some of the trim pieces that are broken.

Lastly, on the door...do any of those switches illuminate at night? It's nice to know before tearing down stuff.

Best Regards,

Christen
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Nothing on the doors light up except for a faint green AUTO on the driver's window switch. They were pretty skimpy on the backlit controls.

As far as the white piece for the HVAC controls, I've never figured out how exactly that thing clips in. There are just two bulbs, one to either side of the fan knob. You can replace these bulbs without removing the white piece. Just be prepared and have spare bulbs on hand, some bulbs may go missing down into the depths of the dash. It is difficult to get them twisted into the socket from behind but it is doable.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
EyeDocWA

Post by EyeDocWA »

Again...appreciate the reply. I just checked...you are right...faint "AUTO" shows up on the driver's door as backlit but that's about it. As for the HVAC, about 8 years ago on the Nissan Maxima forums for 95-96 sedans,similar problems were had with their clocks and HVAC systems. At that time, you were able to purchase small bulbs with long wires and they had a tutorial on how to unwind the old filaments from the bases and essentially rebuild them. At a fraction of the cost. Alas, Radio Shack is gone and I don't have the bulb number to cross reference, but once the module is out, it's a simple twist and out they came. Trying from the front is dicey on a good day. Best advice I ever got was change ALL the bulbs out the same time or after you've disassembled the dash yet again, you learn the concept about bulbs and replacements.

Anyone have a clue on an easy and "effortless" (meaning how not to break things) way to remove the white HVAC panel, please direct me.

Many thanks...Christen
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'm with ColonelPanic on this one. I have taken most of the vibe apart over the years, and taking that white HVAC controls out eluded me. I tried, but could not figure out how to release the wire cables from the back without breaking something. I did break one of the cable clips, but luckily the cable is still hanging on. So take the radio out and replace the bulbs on the HVAC control with it still in the dash
EyeDocWA

Post by EyeDocWA »

Their are two Vibes in the local junkyard that would serve as great test cases. Since I just put the new/used JDM (not exactly sure what those letters stand form...figuring the J and the M stand for "Japanese" and "Motor"), I'm still "shake it down" before giving it to my son to drive out to Jersey cross country. So instead of disposing of all those firecrackers I bought a long time ago in Wyoming, I'm gonna give the bulb replacement and maybe the shite HVAC piece a shot. If there's enough room to get a descent flat bladed or large flat bladed jeweler's screwdriver from the top, then it's probably not necessary.

Will have to listen to the good Colonel. He outranks me. I only retired as an LTC.

Best regards,

Christen
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Get some phosphorescent paint if you are willing to try.
For example (https://glowinc.com). These are very well reviewed.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)