Airbag Recall Warranty?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
rhino1

Airbag Recall Warranty?

Post by rhino1 »

Does anyone know what is the warranty (dealer or manufacturer), if any, on the recall work done to replace the passenger side airbag?

I have a 2007 model. The recall work was done about a year or so ago, I think. I just noticed that the airbag light stays on, even if someone is sitting in the passenger seat; i'm not sure how long that's been going on for.

Thanks.
MacGyver

Re: Airbag Recall Warranty?

Post by MacGyver »

Look at the service invoice. My GM dealer has a 12 month warranty on all their service work.

Is the main red airbag light in the instrument cluster stuck on? That indicates a fault with the airbag system that needs immediate attention.

The weight sensor in the passenger seat may have gone bad. The primary purpose of the weight sensor is to turn the airbag off if there is a little kid sitting there with the seat belt done up. Otherwise there's no reason to turn it off, ever.
2009 Vibe Base
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Good luck getting them to do anything. So many people have had issues suddenly crop up after these recalls. Everyone gets the same (removed) from the various GM dealers. Shirking responsibility and placing it on the customer who came in for the recall. It's complete and total bs. I won't even get into the rest of my interior they f'd up during the process.

*Deep breath*

Anyway, keep us informed of any updates, please. And seriously, good luck.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
rhino1

Post by rhino1 »

Thanks for the replies.

dealer says there's a 12-month warranty. i'm past that now.

there isn't any red airbag light on in the instrument cluster. and no SRS codes are being thrown, according to my scanner. and all the cables under the seat seem to be connected.

fwiw, the seat belt chime goes on when someone sits in the passenger seat without belting up. so some weight detector is working.

any other troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks again.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Get it scanned with a good scanner that does airbag codes, and start trouble shooting. It will narrow the problem down to a particular circuit.
rhino1

Post by rhino1 »

I did scan it. Nothing for airbags.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

So it's just the light on the right side of the dash that's on? The one for when there's weight on the passenger seat? Pop the dash apart, remove bulb, and never worry about it again. If the CLUSTER light isn't on, and there are no codes, your system is ready and working properly.
rhino1

Post by rhino1 »

yeah, just the right side. the one that's supposed to go off once there's weight on the seat.

i can uninstall the bulb, but i guess there's no way to be absolutely sure that the airbag is working properly?

if the weight thingy works for the seat belt, why not for the airbag?
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

You can be sure the airbag system is working because the cluster light isn't on, and there are no codes.
rhino1

Post by rhino1 »

ok. thanks.