second gen radio upgrade questions

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Vibrator09

second gen radio upgrade questions

Post by Vibrator09 »

just ordered up a dash kit and wire harness for the Pontiac Vibe along with a new Kenwood KDC-HD262U unit... I might need to re-pin the Harness since I don't know what brand they will send... I didn't go with an onstar compatible harness as I want to get rid of that stuff plus don't care about chimes (my dd, a ford doesn't chime)...

few questions I have is the 09 vibe base without monsoon sound and do you need an antenna adapter to go to the universal Motorola plug? and what recommendations can you recommend for door speakers? looking to upgrade the door speakers later down the road and will only be using the deck amp no external amps so looking for something that can handle the increced amount of bass and run good off the deck as I won't have a subwoofer in this car

if there is anything else I should know let me know I'm good at installing decks and speakers but any specific thing about the 2nd gen vibes I should know point them out!
Ultra White 2009 Pontiac Vibe Base 1.8 L Automatic fully stock with an upgraded radio (speakers to come next!)
MacGyver

Re: second gen radio upgrade questions

Post by MacGyver »

If you don't get the OnStar retention kit, the LED on the mirror will eventually turn red. Pull the MAYDAY fuse under the hood to shut off OnStar for good.

There are no chimes played through the audio system on the Vibe. It's all via a buzzer on the back of the gauge cluster.

An antenna adapter is needed.

You may have to trim off some of the plastic from the dash kit to get the bezel to sit flush, as I did.

If your head unit has a motorized face, you will want to push the headunit all the way up as you bolt it in to place, so it doesn't rub on the dash kit.

If you want a reverse signal for backup camera trigger, you can grab it from behind the coin tray, I'll get the exact wire for you if you need it.

No advice on speaker brands or models, except if you aren't using an amp, I don't recommend components, since components should be driven by a good amp. Go for speakers that have no paper in the cones.

Bluetooth microphone can go up to the mirror, just pull the a pillar off with your bare hands and run the cable behind the curtain airbag. I mounted mine next to the map light and hid the wires. Map light comes out if you insert a clean putty knife on the side of the map light towards the rear of the vehicle to release the metal clips holding it in. No, you can't reuse the OnStar microphone as the impedance is wrong.
2009 Vibe Base
Vibrator09

Post by Vibrator09 »

MacGyver wrote:If you don't get the OnStar retention kit, the LED on the mirror will eventually turn red. Pull the MAYDAY fuse under the hood to shut off OnStar for good.

There are no chimes played through the audio system on the Vibe. It's all via a buzzer on the back of the gauge cluster.

An antenna adapter is needed.

You may have to trim off some of the plastic from the dash kit to get the bezel to sit flush, as I did.

If your head unit has a motorized face, you will want to push the headunit all the way up as you bolt it in to place, so it doesn't rub on the dash kit.

If you want a reverse signal for backup camera trigger, you can grab it from behind the coin tray, I'll get the exact wire for you if you need it.

No advice on speaker brands or models, except if you aren't using an amp, I don't recommend components, since components should be driven by a good amp. Go for speakers that have no paper in the cones.

Bluetooth microphone can go up to the mirror, just pull the a pillar off with your bare hands and run the cable behind the curtain airbag. I mounted mine next to the map light and hid the wires. Map light comes out if you insert a clean putty knife on the side of the map light towards the rear of the vehicle to release the metal clips holding it in. No, you can't reuse the OnStar microphone as the impedance is wrong.
ok antenna adapter is needed but what one is correct as I see many different ones... Metra 40-GM27?
the radio I got is the cheapest Kenwood model with USB and HD radio and thus doesn't have bluetooth... it is only single din as well so no need to worry about the mic and don't need to worry about the reverse signal

I will go pull the MAYDAY fuse... now is hidden or just in the main fuse block under the hood?
Ultra White 2009 Pontiac Vibe Base 1.8 L Automatic fully stock with an upgraded radio (speakers to come next!)
pakong

Post by pakong »

I used the JBL GTO638 front and back. They are big difference from the stock speakers. I chose those because they are 2 ohm speakers. The box will say 4 ohm on the front but will say 2 ohm on the back of the box. I used adapter rings but I feel like I should have made my own from 3/4 inch MDF.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-GTO638-360W ... SwJb9WsAl5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Toyota-Speake ... 5b1cc9a416
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Vibrator09 wrote:ok antenna adapter is needed but what one is correct as I see many different ones... Metra 40-GM27?
the radio I got is the cheapest Kenwood model with USB and HD radio and thus doesn't have bluetooth... it is only single din as well so no need to worry about the mic and don't need to worry about the reverse signal

I will go pull the MAYDAY fuse... now is hidden or just in the main fuse block under the hood?
That looks like the right antenna adapter, sorry I bought it from a local guy last year and don't remember what the part number was.

MAYDAY fuse is in the fuse box under the hood. It's not hidden.
2009 Vibe Base
Vibrator09

Post by Vibrator09 »

pakong wrote:I used the JBL GTO638 front and back. They are big difference from the stock speakers. I chose those because they are 2 ohm speakers. The box will say 4 ohm on the front but will say 2 ohm on the back of the box. I used adapter rings but I feel like I should have made my own from 3/4 inch MDF.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-GTO638-360W ... SwJb9WsAl5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Toyota-Speake ... 5b1cc9a416
and those JBL speakers will work good for an aftermarket headunit? I mean with them being 2 ohm instead of 4 ohm? If they will be ok I might go with them as I love JBL's Studio Monitors... I have a pair and the monitors are awsome!
Vibrator09

Post by Vibrator09 »

MacGyver wrote:
Vibrator09 wrote:ok antenna adapter is needed but what one is correct as I see many different ones... Metra 40-GM27?

That looks like the right antenna adapter, sorry I bought it from a local guy last year and don't remember what the part number was.

MAYDAY fuse is in the fuse box under the hood. It's not hidden.
sorry, I didn't look that's why I asked... would have thought they would hide that so people can't disable onstar
Vibrator09

Post by Vibrator09 »

ok so I have a Scosche GM18B Harness I think this may be the one that needs to be repined since I have an extra switched power wire in the box... where does this wire need to go again? I moved the red wire in the harness to the hole right next to the green/black wire I'd like to not have to use the extra swiched power wire if I don't have to but I think I got the correct location for the red wire in the harness....
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Vibrator09 wrote:ok so I have a Scosche GM18B Harness I think this may be the one that needs to be repined since I have an extra switched power wire in the box... where does this wire need to go again? I moved the red wire in the harness to the hole right next to the green/black wire I'd like to not have to use the extra swiched power wire if I don't have to but I think I got the correct location for the red wire in the harness....
See viewtopic.php?t=37163
2009 Vibe Base
Vibrator09

Post by Vibrator09 »

Does the power antenna wire on the harness need to be hooked up on the non-monsoon radio or just leave it unhooked? Don't wanna forget to hook it up and get no sound or radio reseption...
pakong

Post by pakong »

and those JBL speakers will work good for an aftermarket headunit? I mean with them being 2 ohm instead of 4 ohm? If they will be ok I might go with them as I love JBL's Studio Monitors... I have a pair and the monitors are awsome!
I'm using an Alpine head unit without an problems, 149 BT
Vibrator09

Post by Vibrator09 »

pakong wrote:
I'm using an Alpine head unit without an problems, 149 BT
ok i may get them if they will work good on 4 ohm radios... thank you for the suggestion!
pakong

Post by pakong »

ok i may get them if they will work good on 4 ohm radios... thank you for the suggestion!
You could also get separates for up front if you want to do a little extra work. If I had more time I would have done so. I prefer a stock locking system myself. I originally started off just wanting a Bluetooth Head unit and replacing the speakers, I found that I needed more low end so I bought a used Inifinty Basslink that was motorbaoting and shutting down. I should have tested before I purchased so in the meanwhile I ended up installing an NVX JAD900.5 that I had from another project and I put in a 12 inch that I'm going to sell once the Basslink is repaired. I'm focused on getting the steering wheel controls working and getting a subwoofer cover if I can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JBL-GTO608C ... Sw44BYM1cj

Vibrator09

Post by Vibrator09 »

na I think I may just upgrade the 4 corner speakers but that's about it... the factory speakers really suck without the factory headunit... I've adjusted the EQ to sound the best but really the speakers need to be changed and I'll do that when I get more time and money