Aftermarket stereo pops when turned on, off, or up from zero volume

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
JimmyT

Aftermarket stereo pops when turned on, off, or up from zero volume

Post by JimmyT »

Hi guys- I have an aftermarket Kenwood stereo I bought from Crutchfield. When I first installed it with the provided wiring harness there was a white noise at every volume except zero. Research brought me to the conclusion that this may have been from the Moon and Tunes amp. To remedy this I swapped to RCA out for the audio as to avoid 'double amping' the audio. It worked! No more white noise and the volume is much more reasonable at lower levels. However, now I'm getting a pop noise in the speakers whenever they receive or lose an audio signal. Further research makes me wonder if this might be a timing issue with the turning on and off of the audio system (amp turns on sooner than the new HU) except that it happens even when the unit is already powered up.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you!
joatmon

Re: Aftermarket stereo pops when turned on, off, or up from zero volume

Post by joatmon »

some folks here have had that problem and have resolved it by installing some sort of level converter between the radio and amp. I still have the OEM radio, so can't say from personal experience, but a search here for "level converter" turns up lots of related hits

Welcome to genvibe!
Derf

Post by Derf »

Have same issue. My moon and tunes amp would turn on before the head unit, when the head unit powered on the speakers attached to the moon and tunes amp would pop. On my other aftermarket head unit when I would switch sources, CD, AUX, FM, it would pop, super annoying.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
JimmyT

Post by JimmyT »

I have purchased a line converter and am going to try that. But Like yours, it also pops even when switching between AM and FM. So strange!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

This has come up a few times before but I don't recall if anyone had ever found a way to resolve the popping.

Using the level output converter will do the trick though. I bought a JVC radio a couple years ago from Crutchfield along with the Scosche SLC4, it has worked out fine.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image