oem dvd player

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
bratboy

oem dvd player

Post by bratboy »

hey there, im going to be picking up a 2006 vibe. i know someone who is selling the dvd cd head unit. it doesnt have any cables to go with it. is it a plug and play will it work just by plugging it in or do i need anything else? is there an antenna that i have to get to make the gps work?
MacGyver

Re: oem dvd player

Post by MacGyver »

I wouldn't bother with such an old unit. The GPS will be useless without the antenna. Get something modern and new with Bluetooth. Double DIN head unit installs are a snap in the Vibe.
2009 Vibe Base
bratboy

Post by bratboy »

I dont need the newest best or baddest,, I can get the vibe unit for 30 bucks and of it can fit and work id be happy with that. I just noticed the unit has 2 plugs on the back while while I understand base vibe has one cable. its not an issue if the gpd doesnt work but i cant see an antenna would be hard to fit. I was just asking if it works and how it might be done if its not plug and play.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I could be wrong, but I think it will plug in and work as a radio fine. In addition to an antenna, the factory configuration for the GPS also came with a CD changer that fit under the driver seat next to the AC inverter. The GPS used a map DVD, you can still play a CD internally instead of using the map DVD.

Its relatively easy to swap the radios, it will be a direct mechanical fit. For $30, its worth trying, let us know how it works out
bratboy

Post by bratboy »

I picked up the unit and will likely install it in the next couple of weeks. It will take that long since I have to find a replacement bezel first (long story). So the gps antenna is rare and stupidly expensive when you can find one. Is there no replacement or alternative to make the gps work other than the oem antenna?
jolt

Post by jolt »

You had better test this first to make sure the radio is not locked to the old vehicles VIN number. If it is, you are going to spend a lot more money to get it switched over to your VIN of your Vibe. I would guess that it would have been cheaper to follow MacGyver advise and just put the money toward a new aftermarket system. You also need the cables, wiring, map DVD, and the under seat DVD changer. When your all done you will still have an old OEM radio with a lot of money and time stuck into it.
bratboy

Post by bratboy »

So today I installed the nav stereo. i bought it for the equivalent of of 22.50usd and it works. its far better sound quality than the cheap pioneer that was installed and looks much better. no electronic marrying involved. it plugged in and totally works. ill be keeping my eye out at the pick and pulls for a cd stacker and cable.so a couple of things....does anybody has a nav disk i can get a copy of? and anybody have any thoughts on a nav antenna substitute or hack?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I think you're going to have a hard time on the nav disk. Even when in production, folks here complained about a lack of updates. If you can find one, it will likely be 12 to 15 years out of date.