right side mirror--no power?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
canadave

right side mirror--no power?

Post by canadave »

On my 09 Vibe, the power no longer works on my right side mirror. Left side mirror power is still fine. It's actually been like this for a long time, but I'm looking at maybe selling the car and upgrading, so I figure I'd kind of like to get it fixed. What would be the best way to start troubleshooting this? Is this something that might be an easy fix, or am I looking at replacing the whole mirror, do you think?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
pakong

Re: right side mirror--no power?

Post by pakong »

I would check to see if there is power to the mirror first. If it's the mirror, then it's about $40.00 for a replacement and about 45 minutes work.
canadave

Post by canadave »

Thanks--I'm a bit of a dolt when it comes to car repair...how would I check to see if the mirror is receiving power?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
jolt

Post by jolt »

The side power mirrors have two motors in them. One motor is for UP/DOWN movement and the other motor is for IN/OUT movement of the mirror. If you have no movement at all and both motors are not working, the odds of both motors not working at the same time are not very high. Unless this problem has been going on for some time and has slowly come to this point, which you have not said, and if you want to play the odds, the problem could be bad wiring/connections or a bad control switch. You know you have power up to the switch because the other mirror works. You need to remove the panel where the switch is mounted and test the switch with a voltmeter. The switch is not simple in how it operates. There is a video on YouTube about trouble shooting power mirrors and it is pretty bad. If you can watch that, you will get an idea of what is involved. A switch on Ebay is ~$35. If you are going to trade the car in, most of the time it is not worth fixing these things. It would cost more to fix the problem then what you would get in return. A replacement mirror would have to be painted too, which adds to the cost. I just do not think you will get your money back out of it by fixing a power mirror on the passage side but that is up to you.

Attached is the wiring for the mirror.
Power Mirror Wiring.jpg
Power Mirror Wiring.jpg
Mirror Wiring.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 1316 times