bluetooth ODBII

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
joatmon

bluetooth ODBII

Post by joatmon »

My Vibe has a recurring issue that throws evap CELs, and while I've given up trying to fix it, I have a gen 1 scangauge, which I leave hooked up all the time so I can check and clear the CELs when they come back. I always have my smartphone on me, so I thought I might go for one of those bluetooth ODBII interfaces, would let me unclutter the interior by not having the scangauge there all the tine.

Has anyone here had any experience with a bluetooth ODBII in a Vibe, and got any feedback for me, or recommendations or warnings about a particular module or android software?
jayoldschool

Re: bluetooth ODBII

Post by jayoldschool »

Yes, I use one of the ten dollar BT OBD2 connectors with Torque on my Android phone. It works perfectly.

Out of curiosity, what are your evap codes/issues? I've just started getting the P0441/2/6 codes. They come back in a day or so after I clear them. I have the test procedures printed for the canister and the solenoid, but haven't gotten to them yet.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I use a scanner, as well but with DashCommand. Torque is free, though, last I checked. (I got DashCommand for $2.99 way, way back in the day. I think it's much more, now.) Anyway, love my little bt obdii reader. It's come in handy many times especially for many friends and neighbors. So quick to add a car and read some codes. Plus, all the dial/gauge customization can keep you busy and entertained on a long trip, etc. haha

Oh, I got my bt obdii reader off of Amazon for a little less than $20, once again, about a billion years ago. As mentioned above, you can probably find them cheaper these days. haha
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My codes were 446, and either 440 or 442, can't remeber. The tests are only run when ambient t temp is warn. I bought this one used for cheap a few years back in late winter, no codes but the problem was likely already there. Tried gas cap, solenoid valve at canister, lost interest and now just reset the codes so I can tell if some other code should get set.

The scan gauge is good at not eating the battery if I leave it hooked up when the car is off. Do you leave your bt odbii hooked up all the time or unplug it when not actively using it?
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Thanks for your info. I did gas cap, and I can't see any cracks on the canister. I'll test it and the solenoid. However, I'm still getting great mileage, absolutely no difference even if I don't clear the codes for a tank.

I usually take out the adapter, but I have left it in for days and haven't had an issue.
kostby

Post by kostby »

I have an ELM327 BT OBDII scanner that LOOKS like this one, except mine is Bluetooth only.
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Dia ... op?ie=UTF8

Beware, there are cheap knockoffs. In fact, I probably own the cheap knockoff, because it refuses to work with the ForScan Demo (Ford) OBDII app, claiming something to the effect that I'm using a cheap knockoff scanner. Seems to work fine with the various Android apps (probably because they're patched to work with the cheap knockoff) included on a mini-CD that shipped with the device. (Next problem was finding an old PC with a CD drive tray that holds a mini-CD.)

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I bought the least expensive one on Ebay. shipped from China. Paired with Torque Lite on Android. It works pretty well.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

kostby wrote:I have an ELM327 BT OBDII scanner that LOOKS like this one, except mine is Bluetooth only.
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Dia ... op?ie=UTF8

Beware, there are cheap knockoffs. In fact, I probably own the cheap knockoff, because it refuses to work with the ForScan Demo (Ford) OBDII app, claiming something to the effect that I'm using a cheap knockoff scanner. Seems to work fine with the various Android apps (probably because they're patched to work with the cheap knockoff) included on a mini-CD that shipped with the device. (Next problem was finding an old PC with a CD drive tray that holds a mini-CD.)
I think that's the exact one I have. You don't really need the mini cd for anything.

I leave mine plugged in all the time. It doesn't stay on when the car's off and it turns right on and is waiting for you when you start the car. Makes it handy if i'm in the Vibe and get the annoying 420 code. No, not the one that reminds you to relax and take a smoke, but the catalyst one. ;) Anyway, I can just reach right up to my phone that's probably already on and running Waze, etc, start DashCommand, clear that code and keep right on driving all within seconds. Not to mention the plethora of digital gauges provided.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage