New battery terminal clamps

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
shrout1

New battery terminal clamps

Post by shrout1 »

My current terminal clamps are so corroded that trying to loosen the bolt is like peeling a can of sardines - the metal is bending when I apply torque.

I'd love some OEM terminal clamps but can't seem to find them. Any recommendations on parts and how to perform the procedure? Google has been less than forthcoming. Thanks!
jayoldschool

Re: New battery terminal clamps

Post by jayoldschool »

The stock ones are terrible thin sheetmetal. Mine corrode constantly no matter what I do. I am tempted to cut them off and solder on proper terminals.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Keep battery terminals clean by using a mixture of hot water and baking soda. The water can be boiling hot and use about 1/2 cup of baking soda to a gallon of water. Pour the hot water on the battery connections and the top of the battery. Use a battery post brush to clean up the battery posts and the inside of the clamps. Keeping the top of the battery clean will extend the life of the battery over time.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

The water does not need to be hot, the chemical reaction happens no matter what. Yes, that will clean them, but the corrosion comes back fast. No matter what. Clean, dry, dilectric... those terminals suck.
shrout1

Post by shrout1 »

Any recommendations on a replacement part? Thanks much!
jolt

Post by jolt »

The water does not need to be hot, the chemical reaction happens no matter what. Yes, that will clean them, but the corrosion comes back fast. No matter what. Clean, dry, dilectric... those terminals suck.
The hot water cuts through the corrosion/chalk much faster, cleans the top of the battery better, and dries much faster than cold water. The only time I have had to clean my battery posts on any of my cars is when I replace my battery. I just had to change the battery in 2009 Vibe, which had the original factory battery in it, and it had no corrosion on the terminals. The battery is still good but I needed a battery for another project so the new battery went into the car. When I put the new battery in, I brushed out the terminals to shinny clean and sprayed some CRC battery terminal protector on the posts and terminals, then I put the terminals on the battery posts. All I can say is keeping the battery clean goes a long ways and if the corrosion comes back then all the acid was not removed and neutralized when they were cleaned. It is very hard to get the acid out of the cable once it gets that far as the cable strands will wick the acid far into the cable. At that point you are better off replacing the whole cable to prevent the corrosion from coming back.

Any recommendations on a replacement part? Thanks much!
I would just get replacements cables from the parts store or from Toyota if you want what is close to what came on it from the factory.
shrout1

Post by shrout1 »

I found these OEM terminals on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-9 ... 00P2RZ8TE/

The fitment info indicates that they won't work on my vibe, but they look almost identical to what's on there right now. Does anyone have a Toyota or Pontiac part number for this thing! Thanks!

Also and I safe to use penetrating oil on a better terminal clamp if it's being stubborn?