Weak Fm Radio Signal

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
treewiz

Weak Fm Radio Signal

Post by treewiz »

Just picked up a 2007 Vibe and it has 2 antennas, one a like 18" one and next to it is a short shark fin antenna, which I think is for the XM?. Love my new purchase with 80,000 on it and in mint shape, one owner, but the radio reception is terrible compared to all of our other vehicles. Is this common with these Vibes? What is the easiest fix?
ImN3XU5

Re: Weak Fm Radio Signal

Post by ImN3XU5 »

On my 2010 with XM, I have the regular antenna for AM/FM as well as that sharkfin antenna. My car has OnStar as well as SXM, so I believe that sharkfin antenna is used for both OnStar and SXM.
ColonelPanic

Re: Weak Fm Radio Signal

Post by ColonelPanic »

The longer antenna is for AM/FM. I always found the reception with the factory radios in the Vibe to be excellent. It's not as good with my current JVC, but I can still pull in some fairly distant stations.

Given the size of the antenna, an amplifier was necessary. Unfortunately it is integrated into the antenna base so that would require a headliner drop to replace.

Not sure whether you have the factory or aftermarket radio... If it is an aftermarket unit installed by the previous owner, it's possible that the turn-on lead the antenna needs to function was not connected. That used to be fairly common with these cars, especially when some of the wiring harness adapters were missing the pin to make this connection. When the antenna amplifier isn't powered up, you'd get the stronger FM stations and little to no AM.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image