Is there a way to use the factory SiriusXM unit with an aftermarket HU in 2010 Vibe GT?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ImN3XU5

Is there a way to use the factory SiriusXM unit with an aftermarket HU in 2010 Vibe GT?

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Hey all. I'm planning on replacing my factory radio unit with a new touchscreen unit that supports Android Auto. I currently have a 5 month sub to SXM and would like to retain using that. On Crutchfield, you can get the SXV300V1 unit (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXV300 ... p=87&avf=N) for free after a rebate and can use that with the JVC KW-V830BT unit I will be getting (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWV830 ... 0217&avf=Y). My question is, is there a way to use the original SXM unit/antenna with the SXV300V1 so I don't have to run the new antenna and avoid having that thing on my roof?
tpollauf

Re: Is there a way to use the factory SiriusXM unit with an aftermarket HU in 2010 Vibe GT?

Post by tpollauf »

Lots of good questions here. Have you reached out to the Crutchfield folks and specifically ask them what it would take to have the Sirius factory equipment work with the new JVC unit? I'd be a bit curious also as my son's 09 Vibe GT radio has the broken knobs and instead of fixing it we may replace it BUT ONLY if it will support steering wheel controls, back up camera, and Sirius. That's asking a lot
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ImN3XU5

Re: Is there a way to use the factory SiriusXM unit with an aftermarket HU in 2010 Vibe GT?

Post by ImN3XU5 »

tpollauf wrote:Lots of good questions here. Have you reached out to the Crutchfield folks and specifically ask them what it would take to have the Sirius factory equipment work with the new JVC unit? I'd be a bit curious also as my son's 09 Vibe GT radio has the broken knobs and instead of fixing it we may replace it BUT ONLY if it will support steering wheel controls, back up camera, and Sirius. That's asking a lot
I've talked with CJ over at CF, and he said that he doesn't see a way to use the factory antenna in their documentation of the car. For steering controls, they recommend the Axxess ASWC-1 adapter (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120ASWC1/ ... ml?tp=3405) to connect the steering controls to the HU. Most/all units I've looked at which support Android Auto also support a rear back-up camera. In terms of Sirius, the module I linked in the OP will work with most units (they have to say "SiriusXM Ready" on the front bezel) but like I said, you'll need to run the new antenna to the roof. Last I checked as well, you're able to transfer a subscription one vehicle to another (as in 1 receiver to another receiver) so theoretically you can transfer a subscription from the factory radio to the SXV300V1.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Can you reuse the factory XM antenna with an aftermarket head unit (HU)? Yes, it is possible, but it is not practical. The factory XM module is mounted above the rear passenger wheel behind the plastic interior panel, and the antenna connects to it there. This means you would have to extend the antenna wire from there to the HU to connect to the aftermarket XM module, or mount the aftermarket XM module where the factory one is and run a super long DIN extension cable to the HU - if you can even find such a thing.

tpollauf, aftermarket radio can support the factory steering wheel controls if you buy the right adapter. Crutchfield will show you which one to use.

Check with XM because the module which connects to aftermarket HUs is often out of stock.
2009 Vibe Base
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

MacGyver wrote:Can you reuse the factory XM antenna with an aftermarket head unit (HU)? Yes, it is possible, but it is not practical. The factory XM module is mounted above the rear passenger wheel behind the plastic interior panel, and the antenna connects to it there. This means you would have to extend the antenna wire from there to the HU to connect to the aftermarket XM module, or mount the aftermarket XM module where the factory one is and run a super long DIN extension cable to the HU - if you can even find such a thing.

tpollauf, aftermarket radio can support the factory steering wheel controls if you buy the right adapter. Crutchfield will show you which one to use.

Check with XM because the module which connects to aftermarket HUs is often out of stock.
Yeah I kinda figured it would need to be extended. I think I would be ok with running it through the headliner and come out center of the trunk lid on the roof (if its long enough at least).
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Last I checked as well, you're able to transfer a subscription one vehicle to another (as in 1 receiver to another receiver) so theoretically you can transfer a subscription from the factory radio to the SXV300V1.
Don't be so quick to assume this. I was one of the people who took a wild chance on bailing out XM when their stock was crashing in 2008. I, like others in that time period (post Sept 8, 2007) got burned by an arbitrary rule that prohibits us from making a one time change from a factory installed head unit to another, despite buying the "lifetime" plan. Read the fine print closely and make sure that you can make the change for free; I cannot. Nonetheless, after 101 months of XM listening, my $420 investment for lifetime XM is now down to $4.16 a month. With no end in sight for my Vibe, there are no complaints here.

If you purchased your Lifetime subscription
Before June 20, 2005: Yes, it is transferable from one radio to another any number of times.*
From June 20, 2005 until September 7, 2007: Yes, your Lifetime subscription is transferable a maximum of three times.*
On or after September 8, 2007: Lifetime subscriptions associated with home, portable or dock & play radios can be transferred a maximum of three times.* Lifetime subscriptions first associated with or transferred to radios installed in vehicles by automakers or dealers are NOT transferable unless the radio is stolen, accidentally damaged or defective.
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Caretaker wrote:
Last I checked as well, you're able to transfer a subscription one vehicle to another (as in 1 receiver to another receiver) so theoretically you can transfer a subscription from the factory radio to the SXV300V1.
Don't be so quick to assume this. I was one of the people who took a wild chance on bailing out XM when their stock was crashing in 2008. I, like others in that time period (post Sept 8, 2007) got burned by an arbitrary rule that prohibits us from making a one time change from a factory installed head unit to another, despite buying the "lifetime" plan. Read the fine print closely and make sure that you can make the change for free; I cannot. Nonetheless, after 101 months of XM listening, my $420 investment for lifetime XM is now down to $4.16 a month. With no end in sight for my Vibe, there are no complaints here.

If you purchased your Lifetime subscription
Before June 20, 2005: Yes, it is transferable from one radio to another any number of times.*
From June 20, 2005 until September 7, 2007: Yes, your Lifetime subscription is transferable a maximum of three times.*
On or after September 8, 2007: Lifetime subscriptions associated with home, portable or dock & play radios can be transferred a maximum of three times.* Lifetime subscriptions first associated with or transferred to radios installed in vehicles by automakers or dealers are NOT transferable unless the radio is stolen, accidentally damaged or defective.
I talked with their support today, I only have a 5 month subscription. He said that mine could be transferred for a one-time $15 fee. Then I asked if cancelling was pro-rated or not, and he said it was, and then waived the transfer fee for when I get the new unit installed. Saved the chat to my email as well in case they try to say I still have to pay the $15 fee.