is replacing the door speakers a difficult D-I-Y? 2007 base Vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
roleo71

is replacing the door speakers a difficult D-I-Y? 2007 base Vibe

Post by roleo71 »

I just upgraded my stock GM stereo receiver(burned out display) to a JVC unit. This was my first time installing a car stereo and it went smoother then I expected. There's already a big improvement in the sound quality but now I am considering upgrading the speakers as well to really take advantage of the power/performance of the aftermarket head unit. I'm just wondering how difficult of a job it is to remove/replace the door panels in order to swap out the speakers? I've seen 'how-to' videos online that make it seem like an easy task. Do I need specialized tools for removing the door panels or will basic hand tools do the job? Do I need to replace all four door speakers? I never have passengers in the back. Would just upgrading the front speakers and adjusting the fader more toward the front be all that's needed?
MacGyver

Re: is replacing the door speakers a difficult D-I-Y? 2007 base Vibe

Post by MacGyver »

I would start with the front speakers. The rear speakers are less important, but given the age there might not be much left of the paper cones. You may be able to inspect the speakers with a flashlight so you don't have to take the door panel off.

This video shows how to remove the door panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hCRH0giQoU - remove the screws as shown, then start pulling on the panel from the bottom.

The speakers are riveted to the door, so you will need to drill them out and replace with bolts through new speaker mounts which will accept screws for your new speakers.
2009 Vibe Base
petervivian

Re: is replacing the door speakers a difficult D-I-Y? 2007 base Vibe

Post by petervivian »

Easy job. Remove the triangular tweeter panel. Remove the windows switch panel (lift the front first). Then remove two screws (one near the door handle, another inside the door grab). Finally, pry the tabs around the door panel to release it.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)